Exide Stowaway 27MDCST Deep Cycle vs Exide Nautilus 27MDC Deep Cycle

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know the difference for these two batteries? Which one would be the best for a trolling motor?

Attachments

• photo257663.jpg
    photo257663.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yah, that is kind of what I was thinking. At first, I thought one was a dual purpose starting/deep cycle style, but they both seem to be regular deep cycle and with identical specs and branded by the same company (Exide) but with different names for some reason.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The Exide site mentions both under the Marine battery page, yet the displayed batteries are only the Nautilus. I think the Stowaway is an earlier battery replaced by the Nautilus line.

The only Stowaway batteries I can find are on online sites. I'll guess to clear out old stock since Exide doesn't list the Stowaways.

I sent an email to see what they say. I'm bored. :smile:

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yah, I sent an email to exide as well a couple days ago. I also checked my local Tractor Supply store and they have the STOWAWAY. My local Menards has the Nautilus. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

travelon1979

Cadet
Anyone get a reply from Exide on the difference? I'm guessing it is just a branding/marketing strategy to keep vendors happy. Likely the same battery but if the Stowaways are old stock I'd like to know. Academy and TSC has the Stowaways here. Can't find anyone that stocks the Nautilus. If you heard back please pass it on. I'm bored as well. lol

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not a fan of Exide batteries...

If you can find them locally, I've had a lot better luck with the AC Delco Voyager and Interstate deep cycles batteries

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think they are really the same battery. Just some marketing issue. Like one chain store want's to be the only one that carries the "nautilus" version or something like that and pay Exide a few bucks to create a version just for them.
I just bought my second one. The one from three years ago is still strong on the travel trailer, but I bought a canoe and trolling motor and bought one for that. I can't complain about either one. They were a very reasonable price at Menards and so far, so good. The trick with getting the most out of any battery is to keep it topped off all the time. I have the same battery in my cub cadet riding mower now for 7 years and it cranks the snot out of my motor when I turn the key. And it was a cheap $25 Blains Farm and Fleet battery. The original battery only lasted two summers. When I replaced that, I started keeping it on the battery maintainer between uses and during the winter.