Trolling motor for a 17' Canoe

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a 1973 Grumman 17' Square back canoe at an auction. Now, I need to find an electric trolling motor for it. The canoe weighs about 85 lbs empty. I plan on about 400-450 lbs between myself and another passenger and the usual gear. I am looking at the Minn Kota Endura C2 40 or the Endura Max 40. Will 40 be enough? The Max is about 50-60 dollars more, but claims much better battery life along with a battery life indicator and variable speeds. I like the options of the Max, but am not sure if it worth the extra $$$.
What do you guys think?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Any size electric will work, even the base model 30, as for the Max, it will help a great deal to extend run time and the overall life of your battery.

fishrdan

Admiral
Go with the Endura 40 Max, plenty of power and the "Maximizer" (digital, AKA: PWM) will help extend run time considerably when running at slower speeds.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yah, I am really leaning towards the Endura Max for the run time aspect. I also like the battery monitor as well. I have time so I will be waiting until I see a good deal and that will partially determine which size I get, but I am looking at 40 minimum.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What I am seeing online is that I might as well get the Endura Max 55. I am pretty set on the Max line over the C2 line and I don't see a big savings by going with a smaller Max than the 55#. If someone knows of a good deal out there for a Minn Kota Endura Max 55, let me know. Best I can find is $275 not including the $25 MIR.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Posted this over in your wiring exttenson topic, should have been here
Please remember Iboats is an online retailer (and has the Max 55 on sale for $275) so dont post competitors or links to other sites.

Might call iboats and ask if the forum member discount applies to MK Max motors. FYI it comes w free shipping too.

Thanks

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Every time I search for boating accessories, I never see iboats show up in the search. I wish they would as I tend to forget they are a boating accessory supplier and have a huge range of products. I will certainly be checking them for the trolling motor and ask about the member discount. Thanks.