Battery maintance

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I'm trying to figure out the best way to store my 2 batteries over the winter. I just bought 2 different float chargers. One cheapo and the other is a battery tender jr. Can I use the battery tender(float charger) in series to keep both batteries charged or do I need two separate float chargers? Can I just keep them on the float charger till spring or does it need to be unplugged at some point? Is this the best way to keep both batteries in the best condition possible over the winter? What do you guys do with your batteries?thank you

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I have one battery, a solar panel-controller which will cycle on/off each day.
There's many way to do this, if the batteries are near your house, charge them up once every two weeks, then no worries about failed chargers running wild.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I use separate, cheap trickle chargers for each battery. I plug them in every couple weeks. If you leave them changing constantly the batteries won't work properly in the spring IMO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I only use 3 stage smart chargers and leave them on 24/7 becuase they use a true float voltage in their final stage. Problem with using cheap trickle chargers is that they can over charge batteries since they use a voltage that is slightly higher than float voltage

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I charge them fully in the fall, unhook and forget about them till spring. No problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I put the Grady to bed over the weekend.

Topped off the batteries and took the LCDs off the boat.

The discharge rate of a battery is very slow when cold. I will not bother to charge again until ready to go back in the water the third weekend in March.

wrench 3

Commander
I take the batteries out and put them someplace where they won't freeze. I charge them when the come out and then once every two months.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I take the batteries out and put them someplace where they won't freeze. I charge them when the come out and then once every two months.
Fully charged batteries won't freeze unless it gets down to -80?F where you live. Since you live in the frozen tundra north of the border, maybe that is a valid concern!

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would not leave a charger on that was not automatic for more than a week. It would be better to have the battery tender jr. on both batteries in parallel than use both chargers. If they are disconnected from a draw they will lose very little charge over time. Cold is good, as it slows down the chemical processes. Keep the cheap charger as a spare, or for the day before you put it in the water. One automatic charger for each battery is the best solution.

82rude

Rear Admiral
For the past 5 years or so all ive done is put a tarp system on the boat and in the spring time 7 months later i take it off and go.The battery works without fail even though it can get to -35 or so in Feb,.Optima blue top is my battery of choice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, first of all, as was said, batteries do not need to be charged very often during the winter. Every couple of months is fine.

Also, a trickle charger of 1A or less could be used continuously, as the charge rate is so low.

If you get 5 years out of a boat battery, you have done well, as the vibration and heat is their enemy.

​So, you can leave a trickle charger on the batteries and plug it in every couple of months, for a few days. Everything else is overkill, IMHO.

oldjeep

Admiral
I've got a ProSport dual battery smart charger permanently installed in the boat to keep my batteries charged. I just run the cord out the vent hole in the cover and plug it into my garage ceiling. (Note - battery switch needs to be in a position where the batteries are isolated for the smart charger to do its work)
P5210003.JPG

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Battery Tender makes chargers that charge multiple batteries at once. I've never used one. I do have a Battery Tender Plus that stays attached 24/7. It will not hurt my battery.....

In your current situation, I too would use separate chargers..

wrench 3

Commander
Fully charged batteries won't freeze unless it gets down to -80?F where you live. Since you live in the frozen tundra north of the border, maybe that is a valid concern!

Storing them where it won't freeze is peace of mind. I almost lost them one year when the on board charger went bad. I caught them just as one was starting to crystallize.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Storing them where it won't freeze is peace of mind. I almost lost them one year when the on board charger went bad. I caught them just as one was starting to crystallize.
Makes sense then. Even at my place in the mountains, it would never get as cold as where you are.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I run a Shumacher battery tender on my garden tractor battery 24/7/365. It will be going into is sixth year of service this summer without a hitch. My last battery only lasted 1 season without a battery tender.

I have my travel trailer deep cycle battery on a BatteryMinder Plus 1500 24/7/1500 for two years now. The original battery only lasted two years with little to no use. The BatteryMinder Plus 1500 also has an automatic desulfating function.

They only run when the battery charge drops, so they don't run much between uses. I figure the xtra few pennies of house electricity is worth not having to buy new batteries every couple years.

Batteries being discharged for a long time is the biggest battery killer there is.