Replacement of fuse panel.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
17 ft starcraft aluminum bass boat. Fuse panel is shot, it is one of the old round glass tube type. How much should a shop charge to replace with new fuse panel? And also replace some of the wireing to bilge pump and live well pump. And connectors to 2 batteries?

jbcurt00

Staff member
That'll depend a great deal on your location and how busy a shop is.

From previous posts, I understand these might be more then you'd want to DIY, so maybe a guess-timate of shop time/labor hours would help.

Min $50 parts for the panel, maybe more
Maybe another $100 for wire, connectors and etc.
And 2-3hrs which might not reach their min labor hours

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes sir, you are right, back before my spinal cord injury I would of had it done myself with no problem. But today I can't get under the console, way in the top back up under console. I just can't understand why they would put a fuse box in a place where your shoulders and head have to being laid flat under console, your butt on the riding seat and feet on back deck. So whoever I get to do it will have to put it in a easy place to get to. Wondering on decent price to pay for work?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Labor runs between $75-$100 hr, dependant on the shop.
some techs might even do it as a side job for cheaper, if you were closer I would jump on it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Its pretty easy to swap out old for new.
Maybe try a smaller car audio shop that may be willing to do the install work for a lot cheaper.

But, if you are going to relocate the fuse panel, you are going to need to run some new wiring, which would be better than splicing in extensions to each wire.

Also, make sure you tell them if you want them to use marine grade tinned wire.
Also, decide if you want them to use waterproof connectors, and shrink-wrap all terminal ends.

To do a real professional marine wiring project can get pretty involved and pricey.

If you use your boat occasionally, to snag a bass or crappie, and keep the boat garaged when not in use, you could probably save yourself 50% or more.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hard to say because reading your thread, you seem to need the entire "fuse block" now relocated. I would certainly go with a relocation that YOU can access without and issue. And that will cause some wires to be lengthened or even changed out completely while maybe others will need to be cut for the new location. Think this out carefully before having it upgraded. Maybe even think about circuit breakers instead of fuses. There are pro and cons for each type. And there are good suggestions to visit an audio shop for this as well. But make sure they use marine grade wiring and not regular wires. There is a difference because of where the boat will be used. JMHO

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really appreciate all of y'alls input. I will definitely go that direction. I would like to get someone to install it in a waterproof box on the console. If that's possible. Run wires up from under console through hole behind fuse box. Because if I'm miles out on the water, it would be extremely difficult for me to get to where it is now, my spine just doesn't bend that way.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I really appreciate all of y'alls input. I will definitely go that direction. I would like to get someone to install it in a waterproof box on the console. If that's possible. Run wires up from under console through hole behind fuse box. Because if I'm miles out on the water, it would be extremely difficult for me to get to where it is now, my spine just doesn't bend that way.

I am certain that any component quality person could install it how every you like as long as it complies with code. JMHO