GPS to connect to Standard Horizon GX1600 radio

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just received a Standard Horizon GX1600 for Christmas and had questions regarding hooking up a GPS. I have a 1983 Wellcraft Sunhatch 196 and do most of my boating on inland lakes
1) I only want GPS to give me the Lat/Long coordinates so when I need to issue a DSC alert it will automatically send this info. I don't need the chartplotter or even a screen as the radio can display this info. It does need the NMEA0183 interface. What is the cheapest unit available for this function?
2) Do I need separate antenna's for the GPS and radio or can I combine these functions into one antenna? Any suggestions on which antenna (or antennas) will work.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You're going to need a GPS receiver and a processor/computer to generate the NMEA sentences.

When all is said and done, it's probably cheaper to by a cheap chart plotter than build your own unit

Gps requires a specialized antenna. Most chart plotters use built in antennas. A GPS receiver is seperate antenna

boatman37

Lieutenant
if it isn't too late to exchange it the GX1700 has it built in. i think i paid about $225 for mine and got a $40 mail in rebate

JoLin

Vice Admiral
if it isn't too late to exchange it the GX1700 has it built in. i think i paid about $225 for mine and got a $40 mail in rebate

I bought the GX1700 specifically because my Raymarine chartplotter requires a Raymarine 'backbone' processor to bridge between the GPS and VHF. As boatman said, that VHF can be had for under $200.00. For your use (strictly as a safety measure), that's a lot cheaper than buying a separate GPS/chartplotter. The 1700 provides a continuous display of heading, position (lat/long) and SOG (speed over ground).

My .02

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think the 1700 would have been a better solution in the long run, but my family all excitedly chipped in on this and I just can't not stick with it. The GPS antenna/receiver recommended by Standard Horizon (Q7000619A) is about $150 I was wondering if anyone had experience with a cheaper solution.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I don't understand what that antenna will do for you. Does it add a GPS 'readout' to the GX1600? I read a little, but it's unclear to me.

I hear what you're saying about the family, but gee, returning that one and adding $50.00 will buy you the 'right' one.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't understand what that antenna will do for you. Does it add a GPS 'readout' to the GX1600? I read a little, but it's unclear to me.
the Q7000619A is an active gps antenna. Provides gps data required for dsc function.

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think the same as what dingbat wrote. They seem to call the Q7000619A a GPS receiver antenna. I think what this means is it reads the satellite transmission - boosts it a little with a LNA (low noise amplifier - which is why they call it an active rather than passive antenna) - then outputs a NMEA 0183 signal to the 1600 radio to read latitude and longitude. I think I'll call Standard Horizon technical support on Monday to see if this is correct and then see if I can get the specs for the Q7000619A. With this info I should be able to compare this GPS receiver antenna with others and make a decision to see if the Q7000619A is worth the money.