AQ130C Ignition Wiring Diagram

normanr25

Seaman
Hi All
Could not start my boat this weekend so went down today and found I only have 4 Volts going to the coil so does anybody know where I can get a wiring diagram for ignition switch to coil for this engine.

Many thanks

wrench 3

Commander
There's wiring diagrams of sorts at http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/aq130_170.html#/42 on page 43. Take note of item #18. It has a resistance of .9 ohm and will produce a varying voltage drop depending on the load on the circuit (points open, points closed or points opening and closing).
There's a bypass circuit on the resister for starting. Interestingly it's mentioned in the text but doesn't show up on the diagrams.

Last edited:

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks for the reply I downloaded the manual when I first got the the boat but as you say OF SORTS, I have electronic ignition on it at the moment and it has been working fine up until last weekend and then would not fire up that is when I checked the coil etc and found I only had the 4 volts to coil.

Job for the new year I will test it out with a separate wire run from the battery to see if it will start and yes I know I will have power to the coil permanently but as I said I will only be testing for starting and I will then remove the wire and do a proper job

wrench 3

Commander
Some electronic conversions require you to bypass the resister. It may be worth getting installation instructions for your particular unit.

normanr25

Seaman
Yes I will do that, not doing anything on the boat now until new year when it warms up a bit, quite honestly I have had so many problems with this boat I just need a break from it

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks for all your help I will let you know when I get it going again and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well.