Ignition powered items?

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
As part of the refurb on my Wellcraft, I moved/replaced the old (glass) fuse panel from beneath the console and relocated it using a new blade type fuse board, inside the cabin. I also replaced the ignition switch, which was proving to be a bit hit and miss. I've recently come across a few items, with maybe more to follow, which run without the ignition being turned on. Once I switch on the battery switch, I have power to the flush pump on my electric toilet. It was getting dark and cold so further investigation is on hold, but I wondered if this is normal. I also have power to my horns in this situation.

​Despite the fact hat the ignition switch works fine, might I have connected it up wrong? I thought I was very particular at the time, replacing and reconnecting one wire at a time, as per the wiring diagram that came with it, just three connections and three wires. Any thoughts?

​Wellcraft 250 Sportsman running a Mercruiser 5.7 if that helps. Thanks in advance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sogood, some electrical circuits on boats are actually "ON" all the time the battery is connected, bilge pumps come to mind. So for safety reasons, I would trace out any wires that are hot all the time and verify they have proper circuit protection via either a fuse or circuit breaker inline to the battery. That way IF they ever have any serious issues, the fuse or breaker will open the circuit and stop a possible fire. As far as upgrading to blade type fuses, I see no issues doing that what so ever. JMHO

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Ignition switches are not designed to handle high current loads so those items should not be wired that way. Generally, only the instrument panel is powered from the ignition switch.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the responses guys. I only mentioned the upgrade to blade fuses by way of indicating what I have done to date, that might, or might not be relevant. I'm aware that the bilge pump is always live, out of necessity. Everything comes from the battery, through the switch panel and on to the fuse board, so everything is fused. The dash/gauges only function when the ignition is switched on, so then, is everything as it should be?

I'll have a closer look see tomorrow when I'm back at the boat and thanks again.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would think you want a "hot" head. Otherwise when you are having a nice time floating with the lady and it won't flush...................Well you know what can happen and what I mean. :eek:

As Silvertip said, only instruments are normally wired to the ignition switch. All house loads are from the battery switch. It sounds like you got her re-wired the right way.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good stuff. That's exactly how things are. Thanks for the re-assurance!