electrical question

Waltfisher

Cadet
i am restoring my 1999 Crestliner 1850 sport fish, while checking why the back live well light was not working, i found a part that is making a humming sound, it plugs into a 5 pin socket, is red in colour about 1 inch in diameter and 2 inches long. 5 pins come out of one end the other is marked CAPLUGS RCL-12. can someone tell me what this is and its function? i think its wired into the back live well pump.

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
It's a timer for your live well pump. On for about 30 secs every 2-3 minutes if I remember correctly. Turn on your live well and it does the rest.

Waltfisher

Cadet
thank you so much, do they make noise when the live well is off and is there constant draw on the battery? i hear a noise from it switch is off and key is off,is this normal? can you test it? and do you know if they still sell them?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Waltfisher, NO, it should not be making any noise. Especially without being turned on. I would certainly remove it and either replace it or do something else for an aerator for the live well. The fact that it is "humming" tells me it is bad and is draining the battery if it is doing that without being turned on. If you don't want to remove it presently, at least disconnect it and save the battery. Oh and the CAPLUGS RCL-12 is not the part number for the aerator, it is the plastic cap number they use when making the aerator unit. .

Secondly, :welcome: .to iboats. Great to have you as a new member..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It would not be connected to the ignition switch. It is connected to the live well switch which is labeled OFF, MANUAL, AUTO

Waltfisher

Cadet
thank you for all the help, and the warm welcome! I really am grateful and glad to be a member,

Waltfisher

Cadet
well gents, it appears i need a little more advise i bought a new one its about half the length of the old one they call it a timing pod, plug config was the same, i plugged it in it did cycle the pump it also made a noise with the switch off, i do want the system to work properly but don,t want any drain on the battery as i only use the boat on the weekends its 2 hrs away in a rented slip.my concern is saving the battery power for the bilge pump while i,m not there, its in my heated garage now so i would like to fix it any ideas?

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
When the live well switch is 'off ' there should be no power there,... trace that wire back to its power source.

Waltfisher

Cadet
as it turns out the wires to the switch were incorrect, reinstalled the original one and it works fine, had them on the wrong poles, moving on to the next thing i want to do is to change out the pump that draws water to the live wells would like some info on how its done. any help or suggestions?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
as it turns out the wires to the switch were incorrect, reinstalled the original one and it works fine, had them on the wrong poles, moving on to the next thing i want to do is to change out the pump that draws water to the live wells would like some info on how its done. any help or suggestions?

Most live well pumps are installed at the transom with a through hull fitting. And then you wire that pump to the bilge switch and areator system. Most use a SPDT center off toggle type switch. One dirtection allows you to fill the live well while the oppiste direction lets your areator cycle, and of course a center off positon. Use some plumping tube from the live well pump to go to the live well. Just buy a true live well pump and not a bilge pump, and make sure you install that live well pump below the water line. You shouldn't have any problems. JMHO