Co-Faced Coax connector for 2 antennas and one radio

G

I wish to install dual VHF whip antennas on my two 22 footers. (two antennas, one radio)

I've been searching online for a co-faced coax connector, much like what the CB truckers use, but haven't had much luck.

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these?

alldodge

Staff member
First, don't do it

Second, co-facing antenna's work with a CB on highways because it makes a beam type antenna. So signal passes front and back very well, but the sides transmit and receive are diminished. So now you have to have your boat facing in the direction of who your hailing if they are a distance away. In doing this your power is also reduced.

Third, if you must do it you can use the CB Tee connector

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^+1... what AD said

if you need more power, get more power. if you need more distance....get a longer antenna as well.

alldodge

Staff member
BTW I have two antenna's on my cruiser and one radio, why, I like they way it looks, and if one antenna is damaged I can use the other. Also have a second radio in a box down below

G

All Dodge,

Thanks for the advice. I too, want 2 antennas because I know they will look great on my boats. I did see that you can buy a antenna "switch" that lets you use one or the other, but it's pricey and cheaper just to unscrew one antenna off the back of the radio and screw in another.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or use one for FM and one for the VHF

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Co-faced? Sure you guys don't mean co-phased? I am not an RF engineer but spent a little time around antennas and never heard that term actually used before. Phased array is another story.

Like others have said, done properly, it will get you gain in 2 directions at the expense of side to side. Why you would want to do that on a boat escapes me though.

Last edited:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Co-faced? Sure you guys don't mean co-phased? I am not an RF engineer but spent a little time around antennas and never heard that term actually used before. Phased array is another story.

Like others have said, done properly, it will get you gain in 2 directions at the expense of side to side. Why you would want to do that on a boat escapes me though.

Because it looks cool.
Just my guess. ;)

My single antenna gets in my way enough.

G

Bruce:

as I explained in my opening post, its really pure vanity. My express cruiser will look better with "balanced" antennas on each side.

But you're right, there really is no advantage to it, unless i install another radio. Hiliner Pair3.jpeg