KOHLER GENERATOR - HELP

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never use generator except if I want too make coffee while at sea . Would fire it up every few weeks , just too keep things moving
​I use dockside all the time
​I am anal on keeping my Regal 28.60 pristine , oil changes , flushing engines . etc
​Recently when I fired up generator it shut off after few minutes . I use my boat weekly and during recent weeks fired up, runs short while, cuts off.
Since I never use my attitude is no big deal , but the anal side of me wants everything working as it should .
Kohler is model 5 E
​Water cooled. Upon investigation noticed no water was coming out side of boat. Impeller change necessary
I guess engine shutting is a safety so engine does not get hot.
Biggest issue is getting too generator . Buried along side one of the 4.3 engines
​My grandson is a big help getting too tight areas in engine room and removed starboard casing, removing impeller cover . I purchased a impeller and had it ready for install . After install still no water coming thru. Checked all hoses and filters & petcock all clear. Removed impeller cover & starting engine noticed impeller not spinning . Then noticed shaft not spinning .
​Going on line I find this is a common problem that the plastic gears that the shaft sits on strip .
​Calling Kohler they supplied me with a local generator shop that has sells marine generator over the counter
. I need a bit more info Has anybody done this change ?? what am in store for ?
​Allen wrench what size ? I see from others difficult removing. I have no leverage too work or room .
​Does the impeller casing come off and shaft & gears?
​Biggest issue is I cant position myself too work .
​Everything is feel . Cant see side anything only side view .

​Thoughts other then hiring a guy
​Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Unfortunately boat manufactures just install the stuff and dont really work in it themselves.

Many cases, a motor may need to come out to get to the generator. you may need to use your camera phone to see something.

many yachts that I have been on have a generator stowed in a cabinet that takes about 8 hours of work to get to the generator.

jharvey1984

Seaman Apprentice
Can't help you with the access problem but to change that coupler is very easy. If you were able to change the impeller you should be able to change this coupler. You have to remove the water pump housing. I think there are two or three allen head bolts you need to remove in order to remove the pump. The sleeve should then slide right off the shaft and you can put the new one on there the reinstall the pump.

The part number for the coupler is 359448. You can get this part for around 12+shipping just do a google search for it.