What trolling motor shaft length?

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone,

I am planing on buying a new Minn Kota Trolling motor come Mid February 2017 but I am not sure what size trolling motor shaft I should get in a new trolling motor..

The new trolling motor will be mounted on the bow of my 1989 Sea Nymph SS175..

So I would like to know those who own a Sea Nymph SS175 or one similar in size what would you all recommend I get in a shaft length for my boat..

I was thinking of getting the new trolling motor with a shaft length of 60 inches,I think with the shaft being 60 inches would be better being long for those windy days out on the lake..

This is the new trolling motor I am looking at getting it is the Minn Kota Powerdrive 70 LB 60" US2 i-PILOT..

I was originally going to buy the
Ulterra 80 LB 60" US2/i-PILOT LINK but figured I would not as I need the extra money to go towards 2 new batteries and a 3 bank charger and also a quick disconnect plate for the new trolling motor and a few other things including having everything installed and wired correctly.Plus take a extra couple year warranty on the new trolling motor..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I think the 60" would be a good choice and about as short as you would want to go. I have a 54" on my SS160 and it comes out of the water only on monster boat wakes.

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think the 60" would be a good choice and about as short as you would want to go. I have a 54" on my SS160 and it comes out of the water only on monster boat wakes.
Thanks Watermann,I figured it better with the 60 inch shaft,as you stated it would probably come out of the water with a shorter shaft on those big wakes and some times I am fishing in some pretty good winds so it be good to have as far in the water as possible..Especially when I am trying to fish in some shallow water and weeds where the big motor can not be used..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
DV, you can take your boat out on the water and use a tape measure to measure the distance from the bow to the water and get a real good idea for the shaft length. And you don't want your trolling motor to go too deep because then you limit the shallow water capability. So there is a fine line between the depth under the water for the motor portion. Too deep and you start churning up dirt and silt, too shallow and even a small wake makes the motor come out of the water. There is no way to keep the trolling motor from ever coming out of the water in heavy wakes. So pick something reasonable between those two situations. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The height is adjustable, so thats a non issue.

I use a 60" on mine, similar size boat,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Any of the trolling motor manufacturer web sites have instructions for determining shaft length but the basic measurement is from the mounting surface to the water and and add one foot. Done! A shaft that is too long looks like an antenna and gets into the way when stowed unless mounted so it folds along the rail.

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I want to say I am sorry on the late reply back,I was in the hospital for awhile,I am ok now,but I like to Thank You all for the info you provided me..

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Glad to hear all is well with you now.
Thanks Watermann,I had back surgery and I had to stay in the hospital as I could not get up or move so the Dr kept me in until I was able to walk and move on my own..The weird part is I am fine now,I guess it just took some time for my body to rest up after this surgery..The other weird part is this is my 6th back surgery and I was up with in 4 hrs after surgery,but then again this surgery was much more intense and a longer 6.5hrs..