Engine won't start

Lissettel

Recruit
Hello,
I removed deep cycle to test on another engine, charged it, only went up to 90%. Put it back on 115 Yamaha it tried to crank up?engine twice with no success and now nothing. I've googled issue but I'm not sure how to even begin testing, and I'm not familiar with technical lingo please help :)

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Deep cycle battery is not designed to be used as a starting battery, its used to power trolling motors and other electronics. Being at only 90% and will not charge further, the battery is pretty much gone and needs replaced

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Don't be in a hurry to replace the battery. Charge the battery and then take it to any auto store to have it load tested. Then replace it if necessary. No sense spending money on stuff that does not need replacing. And by the way, deep cycle batteries can and have been used to start big block I/O and inboards and they are very capable of starting a two stroke or four stroke outboard. If you have a bowl of wheaties in the morning you can rope-start a 115 Yammy.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Lissette. Welcome to Iboats. How old is the battery? Even well maintained batteries usually only live a few years. Before I began using a "smart" charger, I replaced my batteries every 5 years or sooner if they showed weakness. I have a pair of deep cycle batteries that I use interchangeably for starting my 4 cylinder I/O and have kept them maintained year round with a smart charger for about 6 years now. I'm gonna keep going with these until one fails, then replace both. Some smart chargers have a cycle that may bring your poorly performing battery back from the dead. I've never had an issue with capacity of deep cycle batteries, but mine are starting only a small engine and they're 27H series so cranking amps is more than adequate. - Grandad