Do I need an ECLI if installing an isolation transformer?

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
I'm installing an isolation transformer on a vintage 40 foot Chris Craft. Currently, boat has a port and a starboard shore power receptacle, each 30A. AC panel has a breaker with polarity indication for each shore power connection with a lockout slider that only allows on shore connection at a time. Currently, this boat has no ECLI, but has a GFI at every AC receptacle.
The ABYC standards state you need an ECLI:
"11.11 GROUND FAULT PROTECTION ? AC
An Equipment Leakage Circuit Interrupter (ELCI) or Type A Residual Current Device (RCD) shall be installed with or in addition to the main shore power disconnect circuit breaker(s) or at the additional overcurrent protection as required by E-11.10.2.8.3 whichever is closer to the shore power connection.

EXCEPTION: Installations where an isolation transformer is installed within 10 feet (3 m) of the shore power inlet or the electrical attachment point of a permanently installed shore power cord and supported according to 11.14.4.1.3"

As both shore power receptacles are within 10 feet of the AC panel, does this mean I do not have to install an ECLI if I have an isolation transformer?

Thanks,
...bill

alldodge

Staff member
I'm reading that the ELCI is a new ABYC requirement for new construction. Adding one to an older hull is a good investment in safety. Appears to be easy enough only issue I can see with adding one to one like mine, would be keeping the 10 foot length requirement. Mounting in within 10 foot of the connection would make it hard to get at if it tripped (my engine room).

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1381

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
One ELCI uses 3 slots in a typical AC panel. In my case, I'd be replacing 2 shore power breakers and using 6 AC panel slots. I don't have that space in the panel.
There is some wisdom in the ABYC exception for isolation transformers (my opinion). The ELCI would only provide leakage protection from the AC panel to the isolation transformer. In my case, simply about 4-1/2 feet of wire. The ELCI would offer no leakage protection for the transformer's AC loads.

I'll inquire directly to the ABYC for best practices, I'm trying to avoid the complications of hacking in an additional AC panel just to hold an ELCI.