Black Reset Button on Positive Battery Cable

motoman

Seaman
I just purchased another boat and am trying to familiar self with it . I was checking the starting battery cables for corrosion . Underneath the red cover on the positive post of the battery on the cable is a little black box that says reset . What is this reset button for ? Do not think that I have seen one on a cable like that before

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
might be a circuit breaker.

post a pic

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It certainly does sound like a circuit breaker. But without at least a picture or three, that is only a wild guess on my part.

motoman

Seaman
No Title

Here are some pics of the block that I was referring to . I think that you are correct about it being a circuit breaker as the engine would not turn over acting like the battery was dead . I was unable to jump the battery to start without placing the jumper cables directly on the studs that you bolt the cables to. Removed battery and had it checked and was 100% charged no short . I reinstalled and pushed small reset button and I am able to start the engine . I am not sure where the wires on the breaker is wired to or what the purpose is for . Any ideas would be helpful.

Attachments

• photo255551.JPG
    photo255551.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255552.JPG
    photo255552.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255553.JPG
    photo255553.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it is a circuit breaker. what it is running to, is anyones guess.

my guess, maybe accessories or the power trim. easy enough to find out, disconnect it and see what doesnt work.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, it is certainly a circuit breaker and that company "Short Stop" makes all types of circuit breakers. I was trying to see what the amperage was from your pictures, but could see the part number. However, seeing that the terminals are rusty and corrored, I would most certainly remove it and clean the terminals on the circuit breaker AND the battery terminals as well. It will help transfer the current to whatever it is connected to. JMHO

motoman

Seaman
Hey thanks for the responses .I have already got it cleaned up . The only thing that would not work was the engine starting.I cleaned up the battery and the terminals . When I had battery checked it was 100% , It also showed on the volt gauge when it wouldn't start that it was almost 13 volts . The next time it does I know to push the little reset button . still it was kind of strange .If I continue to have trouble again I may replace it . I also noticed that both trolling batteries have a similar breaker on them .Oops!! maybe I need to check I did notice today trying it out that I have no live well pumps .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hey thanks for the responses .I have already got it cleaned up . The only thing that would not work was the engine starting.I cleaned up the battery and the terminals . When I had battery checked it was 100% , It also showed on the volt gauge when it wouldn't start that it was almost 13 volts . The next time it does I know to push the little reset button . still it was kind of strange .If I continue to have trouble again I may replace it . I also noticed that both trolling batteries have a similar breaker on them .Oops!! maybe I need to check I did notice today trying it out that I have no live well pumps .

motorman, if it does keep tripping, it still could be good but undersized. Meaning it is doing exactly what it was designed to do, but the engine starter circuit requires more current then the circuit breaker was designed for. So if it keeps tripping, replace it with a large size and everything will work perfectly. But don't throw that one away. It is still working. JMHO