Engine Alarm

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Back several years ago what I assume was or is the engine overheating alarm went off. Engine hadn't overheated and after that it would come on whenever it felt like it. Tired of it I cut a wire to silence it. (Tho I do think it went off once more after that. ) Anyway... We have a different engine. The original was a Mercury 2002 40 ELPTO. Now we have a Mercury1987 70hp. As I try to clean up the wiring under the console I am wanting to remove this thing. Its rusted, its old and like I said would go off whenever it felt like it.
I see three wires. A brown that comes from the cable harness that goes to the engine (the one I originally cut) , a faded/light pink one that goes to the key ignition and a purple one also from the cable harness to the engine.
Questions
Can I just cut the wires, cap them and remove the alarm w/o messing up the ignition ability ?
Since this is a older engine If I got a new alarm would it just wire in the same place ?
Oh if it matters I have no gauges for oil temp/oil pressure etc. Its a premix engine now as a previous owner removed the injection.

Thanks
Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You have a two stroke engine so there is no need for an "oil pressure" alarm (well because there is no oil pressure like there is in a four-stroke motor). The tan wire you cut was originally connected to the over-heat switch on the engine. This switch completes a ground circuit which triggers the alarm at an overheat condition. +12 volts from the ignition switch powers the alarm. The third wire is likely from the low oil/no oil sensor on the oil injection system. Cutting the tan wire did not silence the alarm if there was an oil related issue. The alarm obviously worked or it would not have gone off. It is NEVER a good idea to defeat an engine alarm. The overheat alarm on the new older engine should also have the tan wire which connects to the new alarm. The new alarm will also need the +12 volt supply just like the old one. If the new old engine has an oil injection system that alarm can also be wired the same as the old newer engine.