Solid State Relay for Talon Shallow water anchor?

thyNemesis

Seaman
Hello,

Just installed a Minn-kota Talon Shallow Water Anchor, I thought I remember reading somewhere not to hook it up to the battery switch, damage could happen when cranking the engine over. I can't seem to find what I was reading to double check on this issue.

So, I am looking at using a Solid State Relay (SSR) rated at 40Amp, since the anchor has a 30Amp fuse, to control when power is applied to the anchor.

Not sure how to wire it up to the batteries so it won't drain my battery when left un-attended.

any ideas?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you use a SSR, there would be zero current flow without a switch thrown to allow current flow to the anchor motor. So any SSR that fits both the voltage and current requirements would work. Just make sure it can handle more then the actual voltage and current ratings. I like to go double on the ratings to give a longer life expectancy. But that is just me. The trigger voltage would come via the switch, while the heavy current goes through the SSR terminals. So there wouldn't even be an idle current set up that way. JMHO

sam am I

Commander
Gm is spot on, or you could...........

Use a separate battery (house/fishing acc.) with a combiner/alt management, ACR wired across to a start battery.

Most of these units have a dedicated terminal (or built in low voltage threshold) that is used to auto disconnects the crank batt from the house/fishing acc battery when cranking the engine, thus protecting/isolating your acc battery electronics from potential crank battery voltage drop-outs/surges. This particular feature is exactly designed (or can be used as) for this purpose you mentioned that might be an issue and sounds like is what your looking for...........

However, the SSR idea? I use a 200A SSR for my elect. downriggers and it's high current side is ran just in series with all of them, in the aft in my boat. I can then remotely turn them on and off (40/50'ish amps total) using a zero current controller (100ua) remote switch up at the helm, it works very nice (not real control current to drain off batts when in use and I didn't have to run mega wire to the helm switch) but, the rigger's high current side are also being wired on their own acc battery which is managed as mentioned above........ To a battery system that isolates everything at crank time. If I forget, it doesn't matter, all batterys automatically disconnect from each other and isolate when I hit the key.

I guess my question would be: How will you assure your anchor's SSR disconnects from the start batt at the moment you start to crank the engine? Are you planning a manual switch? and if so , what if you forget? Like if you're in a hurry or something and crank up the engine, the anchor power would immediately see the drop-out, surge, spike, whatever it is that might mess it up unless of course you have manually shutoff the SSR. I'd forgot 99% of the time.......

It would be easy to use/design an auto shutoff circuit but, the above mentioned systems are already designed for your needs.

Last edited: