Which Battery Maintainers do you have experience with?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Looking for opinions of the different brands of 4 bank home (not on board) chargers.
I currently have gone the cheapo way of using those economical trickle chargers on a timer cycling on and off throughout the Pennsylvania winters. I store them in my basement workroom.
I have been looking at the Noco G4 which has many indicator features showing percentage level of each battery etc.
I know the Battery Tender has been around for many years and has a good reputation. Same goes for Schumacher.
What are you all using?
Thanks,
Joe

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I just charge them fully with a regular charger, unhook when winterizing, and put boat away. Re-hook in the spring and go boating. If the battery don't work in the spring, it was going bad before. Usually get 5-6 seasons before they need replacement.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are pluses and minuses to both single individual chargers and a four bank charger. First, four individual changers with trickle charging capabilities will maintain each battery without issues of the others. And if one of them belled up, the other three would still be going strong. But then there are things to be said about a four bank charger where everything is in one unit. So it really boils down to what you want. I like my own built circuts and so that is what I use. But purchasing something to maintain your batteries through winter is really up to each individual. Most any quality battery charger will work. I don't see one having much over anyother manufacurer. They all charge and then switch to a maintain effort. JMHO

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I have used the Battery MINDer units for years. Supposedly, they have a high frequency pulse signal that periodically goes through the battery to break up 'salts' that occur and will keep a battery in a better state.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I just charge them fully with a regular charger, unhook when winterizing, and put boat away. Re-hook in the spring and go boating. If the battery don't work in the spring, it was going bad before. Usually get 5-6 seasons before they need replacement.

I do what Grub does,. But, I have a portable smart charger that I run through a 'desulfation' cycle at layup. Takes 24 hours to compete and the battery is fully charged at the end. Then I leave them alone until spring.

My .02

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Pro Mariner Sport, 4 bank, by far the best system I have ever used. I have a dual bank in my 230 and a 4 bank in my 280, I've seen these things bring -batteries back from the grave.