will a small dash solar pannel keep up?

MistyTazzvon

Cadet
I have a small 17' Sunbird Corsica 185 bow rider. I would like to see if anyone has used any of these small dash size solar panels to keep the battery charged while running small items like the radio and fish finder. I would like to ensure i don't kill me battery while fishing and still be able to keep my fish finder on and maybe listen to some radio. Anyone familiar with using these small solar panels or will they not output as much as i am pulling?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the small battery panels are for maintaining the battery when the battery is stored. for running your radio and your fish finder, depending on current draw you may looking at a 150-250 watt panel (about 2' x 5')

since panel output is rated on a cloudless sky with the panel perpendicular to the suns rays, your efficiency while bobbing about on anchor will be about 40%

I would get a second battery and a battery switch

MistyTazzvon

Cadet
thank you for the speedy response. I kind of figured that was the case but was not sure. I think i will look at a second battery, just need to figure out where to put it and how to wire it as a starting battery only so everything runs of the other battery but both still charge when underway.

Thanks again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just search for battery switch installation on this site. about 200 threads will come up with schematics, etc.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When you realize that our sun floods this Earth daily with trillions of watts of energy and can raise out temperatures about 30 degrees a day, if there were some really convenient way to change that heat energy from heat to electricity, we would have our energy problems all worked out. Until we can convert heat to electricity cheaply, we are not using the free sun rays daily. Solar cells don't use heat for their conversion, they use other means to develop electricity and it isn't close to being efficient. One day someone will figure it all out and be a Trillionaire over night. JMHO

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
If you are that worried get a portable radio :) I can't imagine fish finders use that much battery? Do they?

alldodge

Staff member
A second battery is always a good idea, and the main reason is if the battery gets weak or alternator stops working. In most all cases, if you have a good battery which is fully charged a radio and fish finder will not drain it enough to keep the motor from starting. That is if you don't have a power amp attached to the radio and want to rock the lake.

jwall116

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I also have a sunbird, mine is the 201 Dual Console. Great boat for the price !! My boat came to me with 2 batteries which I do like a lot but it is an expensive add on compared to other options you have with what you are trying to accomplish. When I had my Bayliner 14' with 1 battery, I ALWAYS took the jump pack.

If you are not hard core fishing and running live wells, trolling motors etc etc then I suggest just getting a jump starter pack.

I picked mine up from harbor freight on sale and used a 20% coupon, cost about $30. Even though I have two batteries I still carry the pack onboard the boat at all times. I can not tell you how many boats on the water i've jump started with it and cars at the boat launch. It also has cigarette lighter receptable (use it for inflating the tube) and USB for charging your phone.

It looks like it isnt on sale at the moment, brand does not matter. This is cheaper than an additional battery, switch etc..
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...ter-62306.html

I should add, my suggestion is only for jump starting your battery if it goes flat. With my West Marine 650 CCA starting batteries that are in my boat, I have never had to switch batteries or jump start. With fish finder, live well and radio on for a few hours. No issues. Most auto parts stores will happily test your batteries for you, leave nothing up for guess work when you are taking to the seas.

HAPPY BOATING!

Last edited:

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think you'd need that big of a solar panel. If you just have a moderate radio and a normal fishfinder, they would only draw 3-4 amps.. which would be 39-52 watts. Given that you'd probably get only 40% of best case, you wouldn't need over 100 watts. That would totally power these accessories. Even if you just offset SOME of the load, you'd be able to run A LONG TIME (HOURS) without any significant drain on your starting battery. A 50 watt unit is only about 2' square.

Now, I also totally agree with getting a jump-start box if you have a single-battery installation. Those are so handy for a number of reasons already articulated.