What electronics do you pull for winter?

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was reading earlier post about leaving batteries fully charged and in the boat for winter, and it got me thinking...

What electronics do you pull from your boat and store inside (heated) for winter?

I have always pulled my Lowrance unit and all other fish finders along with my compass. (so LCDs and liquids do not freeze)

Am I missing anything else that should be removed from the boat for winter?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Everything stays in the boat, and no winterizing is done.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I always pull my sonar. Don't know if it will freeze but don't want to take the chance

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You don't need to move the electronics because of temperature.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Temperature may not be an issue, but what about condensation and then those water droplets freezing? I can see 20 or 30 below being the end of the LCD screens... and what about the compass freezing?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Compass has oil in it.

Condensation on the outside is no big deal. If you have condensation on the inside you have way bigger problems that if it freezes or not.

Alumarine

Captain
Where I live there have been many, many thousands of old style and now new style LED/LCD TV's left in cottages all winter at -25 or colder.
No problems with that. Same with boat electronics.
I remove my GPS/Sonar simply for anti theft purposes.
Compasses stay put.
Most modern cars have screens as well now. They don't seem to care and they are constantly temperature cycled.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where I live there have been many, many thousands of old style and now new style LED/LCD TV's left in cottages all winter at -25 or colder.
No problems with that. Same with boat electronics.
I remove my GPS/Sonar simply for anti theft purposes.
Compasses stay put.
Most modern cars have screens as well now. They don't seem to care and they are constantly temperature cycled.

I appreciate everyones input. Never thought of the LCD screens this way... makes great sense.
Think this year I will everything as is in the boat for the winter (boat is covered), and see how I make out in the spring.
If my Lowrance HD-7 is toast... I'm not going to be happy though :rolleyes: