shore power inlet

juliolop

Seaman
HI, mine is a Stingray 200CS, it doesn't come with AC capability and I'm willing to install AC power in it, where do you think could be a good spot to place the Shore Power Inlet?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Was shore power an option on your boat? If so, where did the factory place it? Where is the shore supply located in relation to how you dock your boat? Do you back into a slip? Dock broadside to a bulkhead? Do you take trips where you use transient docking?

You put it where it's convenient to use, convenient to install, and won't result in the shore power cord lying where it can be tripped over or sag into the water. Make sure you understand what you're doing before you start- shore power is not a thing to jury-rig. Don't forget to install a galvanic isolator.

My .02

Last edited:

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
I would suggest you hire a marine electrician. As Jolin said it's not good to be jury rigging AC and can kill you or destroy your boat if not installed correctly or be a danger to boats around you. If you really need AC on that size boat do it right.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im scratching my head as to why one would need AC on a 20' boat

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
OP is Florida based. Perhaps he has a dock behind his house. May want AC power for:
- AC as in air conditioning
- Battery charger
- Beverage fridge

juliolop

Seaman
thanks you all for your comments, believe me, I understand what I'm doing, Electronic Eng. for more than 30 years, AC is not something decided to be implemented yet, is just an idea, and the question was to have an idea where could be a good spot for the inlet, and yes the main purpose is Battery Charger.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it's just for charging, what about a solar panel - either portable or fixed either to the boat or on a collapsible stand?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
If you only need a single-purpose connection, Marinco, Guest and Minn-Kota all offer a 15-amp inlet. Inside the boat, you wire it directly to the charger. Then you can use a regular 3-wire outdoor extension cord from the dock. Simple and cheap. Since it's only a single-point dedicated connection, you can forego a breaker box, galvanic isolator, etc.

iboats sells 'em

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac...hed.1--filter.prod_name?q=charger inlet&s=std

My .02

juliolop

Seaman
thanks again for all your answers and suggestions, but my question wasn't "how to do it?", my question was only about a "good spot to place the shore power inlet" in my boat, after that, I know everything I have to do, I don't want to pace the inlet in a place which I regret tomorrow.
definitely the solar panels could be a good consideration because I'm in Florida, my boat is usually out of the water but not at home, I will check on it, the only thing is, if I install a very simple AC power system, not only could be useful for battery charger.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
My main deciding criteria was which side of the boat I prefer to dock on. My boat originally came with shore power on the port side. Since the helm and the door for the boat both on the starboard side, it was natural for me to dock on that side which makes the shore power on the port pretty cumbersome.

I disconnect the wires from the port side and relocated them to starboard. For a small boat, put the inlet as high as you can on the hull for obvious reasons.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a solargizer maintainer on board that has either an AC chord or a small 9" x 18" solar panel that I plug in and simply lay on the swim deck.

I found the battery switch and frequent use (every other weekend) took care of any charging needs so I actually havent used the solargizer in about 4 years

Last edited:

juliolop

Seaman
...For a small boat, put the inlet as high as you can on the hull for obvious reasons...

thanks DeepBlue2010.
something like this is what I was asking for, this is the kind of tip I'm looking for.

then Scott Danforth what you have is a maintainer, not a charge ?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
You may want to consider which side of the boat is preferential for getting on/off boat easily, as that may be the side that is preferentially at docks. Mine is up high on the port side, easy to run the line across the forward deck if I have to be starboard side to the dock. Pictures of your rig might help jar more location tips.

juliolop

Seaman
here you have garbageguy
as I said it's not a big boat, just 20' but sometimes you have needs for power.
regarding the side of the boat, I really don't have preferences to get in and out, could be either, I don't have a dock of my own and it's mostly out of the water.
don't know if is it a better idea to place the inlet outside of the boat or inside, personally I would like to use some place close to the instruments dash, is it the space bellow the dash a good place to put the battery charger?
the batteries are close to the engine in the starboard side close to the transom under the seat, but I have read this place is not a good particular good place for the charger and the power inlet, fuel is to close. What do you guys think?

stingray2 (2).jpg__KGrHqZ__jgE1uYT6qBnBNf4Ij8ztg___1.JPG

1443631208585.jpg 1442483894520.jpg

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Most boats have the shore power connection on the port side. I have no idea why, but there it is. For your boat I'm thinking you could fabricate a box that fits inside the gunwhale port side aft.
This box would contain the connector for shore power and a battery switch (assuming more than one battery). You don't want the connection too far from the battery to minimize the distance you have to wire the converter/charger.
Just about any accessory you might want to use is available in 12 vdc version. You can run multistrand wire with outlets all over the boat from there. The gunwhale provides a natural channel to run your wires through.

juliolop

Seaman
WRVOND I would prefer the starboard side due to proximity to instrument panel, but the problem is the side of the boat is curved, I have plan to use a waterproof box bellow the instrument panel to include power inlet, polarity monitor, breaker and IGF inlet, outside the box I plan to install charger box and galvanic isolator, what do you think?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd put the panel itself in the cuddy cabin, protected from the elements. The power inlet could be anywhere convenient to that location.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
WRVOND I would prefer the starboard side due to proximity to instrument panel, but the problem is the side of the boat is curved, I have plan to use a waterproof box bellow the instrument panel to include power inlet, polarity monitor, breaker and IGF inlet, outside the box I plan to install charger box and galvanic isolator, what do you think?

I would not do that. We wash and hose our boats on the dock and sometimes we are already connected to shore power. You don't want to be spraying water in the cockpit while your boat is connected to shore power and you don't want something of that importance to rely on people's memory.

Find a good place for the panel inside the cabin. The inlet itself can be away where outside as long as you can conceal the wires from inside the boat.

juliolop

Seaman
thanks for your tips guys, you're absolutely right, don't have much space inside the cabin but I'm going to figure out, just a little panel I think could be accommodated, even when I'll never be spraying water in the cockpit due to the carpet in the floor, this is really something to consider.
and what about the charger?