troubleshooting a possible fried battery charger

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
so some dirtbags decided to steal my twin batteries out of my starcraft a while back... I had them wired to a battery switch and an onboard GUEST 10 amp charger. it was a nice set up that I also have on my Big lowe roughneck. So I replaced the batteries eventually, and then it took me several months to finally get around to using the boat... the night before my fishing trip I planned to just plug in the charger...but it showed no lights to indicate it powered up.......the next day I looked it over and I am thinking that the thieves must have crossed some wires when they were undoing the cables to steal the big batteries.. and they fried my charger....

my question is.....where to start to try and fix the charger....or is it toast???? is there a relay on them?

right now the charger blows a fuse when I hook up one of the batteries....even though the charger lights never come on.....one side of the charger does not blow its fuse....but just hooking up the terminals on one leg of the charger blows the inline fuse.....and that doesn't even involve plugging the charger in!!!....so the fried charger is shorted on one side..i am guessing....

anyone got a starting point?

bob

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That all depends. How competent are you with electronics and reading schematic diagrams? If you are good with electronics AND can find a schematic, of course you can repair it, or I should say it can be repaired. But unless you know enough electronics to recognize how the layout works inside the unit, I don't see much hope for repairs. JMHO

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
That all depends. How competent are you with electronics and reading schematic diagrams? If you are good with electronics AND can find a schematic, of course you can repair it, or I should say it can be repaired. But unless you know enough electronics to recognize how the layout works inside the unit, I don't see much hope for repairs. JMHO

I am wondering at $120.....if it is worth it........I am not that great at electrical schematic terminology.......

bob

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I looked up the manual as well looking for any schematic diagram. But no such luck. Seem pretty expensive for what it does though. It is merely two 5 amp 12 volt chargers in one package. IDK.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Good luck with that. These chargers are all heavily potted

Last edited by a moderator:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
thanks for the replies... I think Ill take it out and replace it, and maybe one day take it apart and see how it ticked

if I can fix it, ill install in a future boat

bob

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If your charger had fuses in the charge leads, make sure you check those.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
If your charger had fuses in the charge leads, make sure you check those.

they did, they are yellow and inline....both were blown....but upon replacement...one keep frying the fuse when the terminals are connected to the battery...and they are being connected correctly......so thinking short inside the charger

bob

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
they did, they are yellow and inline....both were blown....but upon replacement...one keep frying the fuse when the terminals are connected to the battery...and they are being connected correctly......so thinking short inside the charger

bob
That's no bueno. Time for a new charger.