77 champion rebuild

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I bought my first boat today. Paid 100$ for a 77 champion and the trailer. It has a trolling motor works great. Interior great shape minus the carpet and the hull and trailer in great shape. I am going to strip this boat down and rewire it cause it has been split up and pigtailed many times. I am a hvac tech so I have understanding of 24v and high voltage. There is no motor or throttle control. I have a 25hp mercury that I was going to put on it temporarily. I have three batteries in it. But that is about as much as I know about it. I am completely new to the boat world and I have read many forums but my head is starting to spin. I do not want to take any shortcuts but I'm not a millionaire either lol. Any input would be greatly appreciated and if there is any other post you could lead me to that would be great

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
cmac, welcome to iBoats.
Congratulations on the new to you boat. When you get to 3 posts, the next post you can post pictures. We at iBoats love pictures, as we can live vicariously thru you on the restoration, and most important so we can better assist you.
Here is a tutorial on how to post pictures here on iBoats.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial
Option 3 work the best.

Now, regarding re-wiring a few tips.
1- Use only marine grade wire.
2- Use the proper gauge wire by consulting both ampacity and voltage drop charts.
3- I use adhesive lined heat shrink crimp connectors, with a good crimp tool
4- I fuse according to the wire gauge, not the device I am protecting.
5- Fuse at the source ( near the battery )

Hope this helps start.
Come back with specific questions, and use only 1 thread, so folks here can see the progression of your work, and anticipate issues.

Last edited:

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok I have a litthe more game plan. I'm getting rid of any wire from the console to the battery compartment. Running new 10 ga to it. I'm adding a new circuit fuse block under the console. I'm then putting new switch panel in the dash. Replace speedometer. New wire to lights and bilge pump. Dont know the shape of the pump yet. Remove fish finder and radio for the moment. I do not have ignition or throttle controls. Do I need to wait until I get my motor or is that somthing I can install now? I have 3 batteries now. Going to get new ones. Any tips would be great

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
cmac, I look at it as there are really 4 distinct sets of wiring in a boat.
One is all the items you described, i.e. nav lights, bilge pump, switch panel, fuel sender and fuel tank bonding ( not all but as an example ).
Another set is the engine and control wiring harness that is running from the engine to the console This would include ignition, starting, charging, gauges.
A third is the harness that is in the engine itself.
The fourth would be the battery system.

2 and 3 depend on each other and infact connect to each other.
1 and 2 are mostly independent and do not have to be installed together.

Did this help or confuse? Search for Blue Sea wiring diagrams and you can see what I am referring to.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I completely understand what you are saying. So my next step is to figure out if the 25hp will even be worth putting on my boat since I have to buy controls. I just don't see a budget for a bigger motor coming very soon

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Well if you search for your boat specs, you should find the max rated hp for your boat. Most folks will say that 70% of the max hp rating is the minimum hp. You can see if that motor will move it ok.

You said 77 Champion, what size and model, other specifics are there to the boat?

Remember, a motor in hand is worth 2 in the bush , or something like that. If that is all you have and all you can get for awhile, it may not be optimum, but at least it gets you boating.

Just my thought.

Edit: Found 1979 Champion models here on iBoats. The smallest boat 17 ft has a max hp of 115 hp. That makes the smallest usable around 75. 25 hp is probably too small. It will not plane, over work the motor and may even get you into problems of it get nasty out there.

Time to carefully think this over.

Last edited:

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks again mjf55. I made another post specifically about the motor and I am alot more confident now using that motor. My next question for you would be trim kit? I know I need throt tgrottoes controls but what kind of trim kit do I need? Are they specific to the motor? Will I be able to use a trim kit on this motor then be able to use it for a bigger motor?

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
I dont know much about adding a trim kit, but I do know that before we can research or answer what you need, we need to know the year, make and model of your outboard The serial number also helps to narrow down choices.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Ok while I work on getting that info here are a few pics of my project. I should be getting all my wire and carpet in the mail next week! I'm ready to get started

Attachments

• photo253792.jpg
    photo253792.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253793.jpg
    photo253793.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253794.jpg
    photo253794.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Just wanted to share a little progress got me a mercury 800 and I am in the process of getting the cap off the hull but it is fiberglassed together at the transom and inside of all the storage compartments. Alot of cutting all and riding to get the two pieces apart but it will b well worth the in the end. Will have to put in new transom alluded deck but not storage urethane of the condition of the stringers yet

Attachments

• photo254460.jpg
    photo254460.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254573.jpg
    photo254573.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0