KOHLER MARINE GENERATOR dies after few minutes

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't have model number of generator , but it is a Kohler .
​Mfg install on my Regal 28.60 Commodore
​I always use dock side power. I fire up generator on occasion too keep moving parts moving.
​Last few times when I started it only operated few minutes, enough time too make coffee then died.
​It is water cooled. Other day while at dock , Fired it up, noticed no water is coming out of side of boat, like air conditioning
​Cleaning thru hull strainer ( clean )
Impeller , when unit gets hot for safety it shuts down.
u- tube impeller is easy except on my unit almost impossible too get too.

​Anybody have knowledge in these , other testing, I should be looking for .

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Don't know much about generators, but if it isn't pumping water, that's where you need to start. And, when's the last time it had a tune-up? New plug(s)? New fuel filter(s)?

Bringing all recommended maintenance up to date may solve your issue. If it doesn't, you'll at least have a baseline to work from.

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agreed - check the genny's water pump, strainer, sea-****, etc. could be the sea **** was left closed (and the waterpump is now shot)

Kohlers shut down for warm temp, over/under frequency

alldodge

Staff member
Fired it up, noticed no water is coming out of side of boat

It was running and no water coming out, even if it does have a problem with the strainer you need a new impeller. I have a Kohler gen in my boat and Hadley ever use it (1994 with 50 hours) and like you I fire it up every so often. Have also replaced the impeller twice since I bought it, they don't last forever

vinnie999

Cadet
They have a thermal shutdown usually in the exhaust elbow. If your not pumping water you need to check your thru hull, raw water strainer, and raw water impeller. If the impeller in bad there will be pieces of it that you need to clean out of the pump when changing it. You should check everything before replacing the impeller or you'll wipe out the new one if you run it dry.