New boat owner lady needs help

boaterlady

Seaman
My bf and I finally purchased a sailboat together and very excited! Aquarius 23 foot 1972, $1000. She runs but is a fixer upper. Is there a safe way to use shore power with a heavy duty marine extension cord with GFCI protection with it? We don't have ac power on the boat obviously. If we can do it safely could anyone please tell me exactly what to use and how to use it? I'll be doing most of the work so that's why I'm here, it's my new project. Thanks so much in advance!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
boatlady, exactly what are you needing the shore power for? What are you wanting to do to the boat that you need AC shore power?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Is the boat on the water or on the hard? is it powered by an outboard or inboard? Either way, you can run a good heavy duty cord, with the gfi outlet at the shore end.The best way is to have a real shore power outlet on the boat, and a proper breaker panel. Keep in mind, any power equipment you use onboard, must be ignition protected, and you must vent the space below decks to remove any fumes from fuel or cleaners you use. A spark in a confined place is a recipe for explosions.

Last edited:

boaterlady

Seaman
Thank you so much for replying. It is for a fridge and lights, charging phones and ipads for now, eventually a heater and then AC as it is Las Vegas. It is on dry docked by our house for now while i work on it with an outboard motor. Really do want to put AC in it in time, also any clue what that would run ? I need 50 amp for the AC yes? Thanks again!!!!!

alldodge

Staff member
Plug it in, use house power from a GFCI outlet and no worries

You can do the same thing when its in the water so far as power. Galvanic corrosion can be another issue for later

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Seems you know a bit about your new-to-you boat. That's a good thing. Once you get it cleaned out, you have to go over the hull with a fine tooth comb looking for rot and decayed structure. Those issue have to be addressed for certain. And as you do work through all the updates, read some threads on here and understand the typical procedures for rebuilding those problemed areas.

As for power to run different electrical equipment at the house, you can use most any quality extension cord while working on the hull without much issue. Installing a GFCI on any extension cord is always a good idea. But I would install that more so at the source where you plan to plug in the extension cord. That way if there is anything that would cause a short along the extension cord itself, it would instantly break the circuit. JMHO

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks all. To be clear we need this yes? http://www.gfcistore.com/30-amp-inline-gfcis.html Could you tell me which one exactly and what is the difference between them? Cheers.

You only need something like that IF::::

You DO NOT have a 120V GFCI outlet at your house.
The marina which the boat will be docked at does NOT have GFCI outlets (Most all do, its code)

If you DO have a GFCI outlet at the house just plug an extension cord into in and run it out to the boat

Does the boat need 30amp 120V?

boaterlady

Seaman
I don't know if it needs 30 amp 10v. How would I know? And I only want power for when we slip it, not while at house.

alldodge

Staff member
The amount of power you need on the boat depends on what you plan to use. If you have an AC system, fans, lights, TV, pressure water system, battery charger, need to know what is on the boat you will use when slipped.

The general slip all use 30 amp 120VAC connection. All should have a GFCI connection so you will not need another GFCI connector as listed above. Tell us what you plan to use when slipped and we can have a better idea of how to advise

boaterlady

Seaman
Thanks. iPad and phone charging, fridge, heater in winter, ac in summer, battery charger, lights, hotplate, coffee maker

alldodge

Staff member
Then you will need a 30 amp connection, and may run into not enough power if the coffee pot is brewing, while the AC and hotplate are on. This won't be an issue because you will learn quickly to use one over the other. Since your using this at a slip I would think all you will need is a 30 amp 120V shore power cable. If your going to go to several different locations pick up a 120V tester

This way after you connect power, and before you turn anything on, plug the tester into an outlet and make sure the power is correctly connected.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-5...t_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NZ6VDCHATNMGBXYT0SS4

The shore power cables are different lengths, most times 25 feet will be enough, but having a longer one is of no issue provided you have space.

http://www.iboats.com/Marinco-30A-P...06647974--session_id.914327469--view_id.39100

Using this kind of cord will also require a connector on your boat.

http://www.iboats.com/Marinco-30Amp...06647974--session_id.914327469--view_id.39102
http://www.iboats.com/30Amp-125V-St...6647974--session_id.914327469--view_id.166701

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just wondering what kind of ac you are going to run on that set up. If it is just a portable it might be ok at 30 amps, you just may not be able to run all the other stuff at the same time. If it's the type that's permeant, and has a pump built in to the system, with a through hull water pick up, it will more than likely require a 50 amp set up. And either won't work while you are out sailing or camping, unless you install a genset.