Minn Kota Riptide 55\AP Squealing Noise

ftroop82

Cadet
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I have a Minn Kota Riptide 55\AP that is making a squealing noise in the foot\prop area. It was fine until some fishing line got wrapped around the prop. I removed the line and replaced the prop, now it is making this squealing noise. When I run the motor slow the squeal is a low pitch squeal and on high a high pitch squeal. Any suggestions?[/FONT]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ftoop82, could be the brushes inside are bad, or even the bearings. Most of those parts can be replaced and you can fix that noise. When you caught on to the line, it cased the motor to work harder to turn and could have work the brushes harder that were already worn. You just have to open it up and see. JMHO

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks, I'll take it apart and see what's going on.

ftroop82, ( I remember f troop), post some pictures for us to see what you are dealing with. I have rebuild a few trolling motors and they really are not that hard to do. JMHO

ftroop82

Cadet
[FONT=&quot]Removed the end housing and there was no water in unit. The large black o-ring looked ok, the bearing on the nose end of the shaft rolled smoothly but had some slight rust on the outer ring edges. The brushes looked fine, but there was a fine white dust in the housing assembly cylinder, blew that out. Started re-assembling the motor and I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] think I found the issue. One of the Nylatron washers was somehow pushed into the End Housing Assembly, so I removed the washer and slide it back on the shaft with the other washer. Runs smooth and quiet now. Hope that was the problem.[/FONT]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
[FONT=&quot]Removed the end housing and there was no water in unit. The large black o-ring looked ok, the bearing on the nose end of the shaft rolled smoothly but had some slight rust on the outer ring edges. The brushes looked fine, but there was a fine white dust in the housing assembly cylinder, blew that out. Started re-assembling the motor and I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] think I found the issue. One of the Nylatron washers was somehow pushed into the End Housing Assembly, so I removed the washer and slide it back on the shaft with the other washer. Runs smooth and quiet now. Hope that was the problem.[/FONT]

Well everything sounds good except the little rust around the bearing edge. The only way rust can get there is for water to have gotten in. So watch it and see. But glad to hear, or I sound say not hear any noise coming from it now. Seems you fixed it. :thumb:

fishrdan

Admiral
Did you reassemble the motor with a fresh set of seals?

If not, order up the seals (shaft seal and O-rings) and swap them out, cheap insurance against water getting in the motor and ruining it. Fish307 is a good
place to order the parts.