98 Stingray 180 rx cluster/guage wiring problem

Freedommoe

Recruit
Hello, I'm new to boating and I just purchased this 98 STINGRAY 180 rx , every thing is ok until I decided to clean and paint the cluster bezel !!!
I started marking all the wires one by one until half way to find out that the marker I'm using is washable not permeant ... so most of the marks I left on the wires got erased .. any way I managed to get every thing hooked up except the two gauges ( oil pressure and temp) . I have a little knowledge about cars and basic repairs . but I can't figure out both gauges , the oil pressure gauge goes all the way to the maximum when start the engine and does not move any more , the temp gauge goes to 160 after two minutes of the engine running . pls help , trying to find a diagram or picture for the back of the whole cluster to help me figure out this thing .
thanks a lot

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your gauges have a ground, +12 volt, lamp and signal terminal. the senders go to the signal terminal, the lamp wires are all daisy chained to the dash light switch, the grounds are all daisy chained to the ground buss, and the + 12 volt are all daisy chained to the ignition switch.

there should be markings on the back of the gauge

Freedommoe

Recruit
Thanks a lot Scott , I did exactly what you said but for some reason the middle still goes all the way .once I turn on the ignition it jumps all the way to the end and when I start the engine it stays at the end .i know for sure the guage works because it was working before I disconnect the wires .

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
So, you have a gauge that pegs when the ignition is on ( high pressure )
What happens if you disconnect the blue wire from the S terminal with ignition on? It should go to zero pressure. If it does, then the gauge appears to be working ( appears, because it may be inaccurate, but we are not there yet ).

A gauge will read resistance between ~30 ohms ( 0 pressure ) to about 240 ohms at high pressure. What is the resistance between the blue wire ( when off the s terminal and ignition on, engine not running.?) and ground.
Do the above again with the engine running.

You should also check continuity of the blue wire from the back of the gauge to the sender to make sure it is 0 ohms.

Lets us know what the readings are and we can help more with diagnosing the oil pressure problem.

Last edited:

Freedommoe

Recruit
Thanks mjf55 , I will be back in couple of days and I will check all the reading then will post it . Thanks again for your time .