Hawkeye D10D deoth sounder problems

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
I installed this depth sounder about mid-summer, and have never got it working properly. It works when I launch for about 10 minutes, but once I'm going, the gauge just reverts to "- - -". The tech department is helpful, but realistically, what I get back is "keep on adjusting it on the transom." My transom is 17 degrees (top slanted toward the stern). Hawkeye provides a thick and a thin shim for adjustment, and there's no way to adjust the transducer angle without unscrewing it from the transom. (I added a mounting plate to eliminate too many holes) Neither shim changes anything, nor does no shim at all. I've followed the instructions to the letter. My hull planes very well and the nose lifts quite a bit, so I'm wondering if anyone else has run up against this problem. My next try will be both shims together and after that I may give up and just get a Faria.

alldodge

Staff member
I installed a Hawkeye on my seadoo one year and it would work then stop. Norcross replaced the until twice but it still went bad. I think there just cheaply made and don't hold up. I just went to seadoo and had a factory on installed, cost more but has not missed a lick.

If it keeps going this way tell them you want your money back and go get a Hummingbird, Lowrance or other

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my boat has a hawkeye - came with the boat..... cant wait to replace it this spring with a down view garmin. let me guess, yours reads when your going slow, as soon as you get up on plane, it quits reading properly?

i played with mine for weeks then gave up

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys,

Scott, I have exactly the same problem. I'm relieved it's just not me who has had issues. The outlet I bought it from is going to take it back for a return and swap it for a Faria depth sounder for just a few bucks more. The Hawkeye tech support people are responsive, but all they tell you is to keep looking at their Youtube installation video and keep on trying until you find the sweet spot. After about six different set-ups, I'm done with it.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I had the same problem in my Seadoo sportster. I think it's a quality issue.