LED lights (5050) single color. Are they so bright you need to dim them?

FreddyTT

Cadet
I ordered a strip of 5050/blue colored LED lights from Amazon. I want indirect lighting in both storage cavities on my interior of the boat (port and starboard sides) and under the dash, to light up the area your feet go on both the passenger side and the drivers side. I was going to mount them up high, facing the carpet. These lights have a viewing angle of 120 degrees. I heard these 5050 LED strips are very bright. Each strip will be about 18" long to 24" long.

This is a 22.5 cuddy cabin and I am only doing the 4 spots I mentioned above. Are these things going to be super bright and light up the interior too much? Is a dimmer recommended? Would a strip light along the starboard and port side be enough for the boat? I attached an image of the locations I am considering putting the strips with a red line. I camp out at night and do want light to see at night, the parts needed were inexpensive and the thought of doing ambient lighting seemed cool and fun. I just don't want it to be so bright its simply overkill. Have no idea what to expect.

LIGHT LOCATIONS.png

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
They may be to bright for ya, You can install them and try it, if to bright, put the dimmer in. Make sure the packaging says dimmable on them, some are not.

Keith Ogden

Seaman Apprentice
I did what you want to do.
Looks good . Not too bright. I did the changing color lights but as you can see the white is nice and bright.
Mine came with a remote dimmer controller so I can even turn them down if they seem to bright.