Mercmonitor

Raypex

Seaman
I hope someone here has experience and is willing to share some wisdom about Mercmonitor displays with Eco screen.
I have a 2002 Mercruiser 496 Mag. The serial number is 0M332089 and the outdrive has a "Smartcraft" sticker on it. I have spoken to Mercury Marine and they were unable to tell me if this was a plug and play option or what engine info will be displayed. It seems unclear whether or not this will work for me. I'm trying to increase my efficiency and need fuel burn info to do it. I have investigated buying a Floscan and sensor and realized for a few bucks more, I could get lots more info and a simpler install.
I have read everything ever posted about Smartcraft and Mercmonitor but I haven't found any conclusive information that matches my situation.
I have no other electronics or GPS. I don't have the budget to re-invent my dash and buy all new gauges or big money big screen displays which require lots of sensors.
I understand that I need a blue cable and junction box. I think I might need a GPS antenna puck (to get mpg).
Does anyone know if this is possible?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Raypex

Fun Times

Staff member
Mercmonitor displays with Eco screen.
I have a 2002 Mercruiser 496 Mag. The serial number is 0M332089 and the outdrive has a "Smartcraft" sticker on it. Is this a plug and play option or what engine info will be displayed. It seems unclear whether or not this will work for me.
0M332089 is Mercruiser's 496 MAG Standard 496 BRAVO MPI Model number 4S42028N1 which being a 496 is designed to use the smart craft system from the beginning (2001) and the Mercmonitor displays with Eco screen would be one of the easiest ways to install a full functioning system to monitor many systems all mentioned in the following link + the quote below as a general guide...http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/merc_monitor.htm

Before ordering, have a look around the engine to find and confirm your engine has the 8 pin CAN line connector. (CONTROL AREA NETWORK (CAN) CIRCUIT).
The wire colors should be Red, Black, YEL/BLK, Pink ,ORN/DK BLU, YEL/RED, ORA, YEL/WHT... From left to right A B E F G H J K
Or scroll way down to Page 3A-35,https://www.scribd.com/document/3481...ck-Diagnostics
Be sure not to confuse the 8 pin Smart 'Transom" connector talked about on page 3A-36. You may have to remove the engines top black cover to locate the plug connector.

82-88c671ddd5.png

The CAN circuit powers the Smartcraft gauges (SC1000) on mechanical throttle and shiftengines. It is located on the rear of the engine on the upper port side. The gauges receivepowerthroughtheBUSpowerandground.Gaugeinfor mation(RPM,TEMP,TRIM)issentthrough the CAN leads. Emergency Stop and Wake Up is not used on the mechanicalmodels. A malfunction in the CAN circuit will not set a fault.

55 Features Available[SUP]1[/SUP]

1. NMEA 2000? Gateway
  2. ECO-Screen
  3. Troll Control TM
  4. Analog Needles
  5. Smart Tow TM[SUP]3[/SUP]
  6. Engine Synchronizer
  7. Trim Pop-Up
  8. Engine Trim
  9. Trim Synchronizer
  10. Steering Angle
  11. RPM
  12. Boat Speed
  13. Digital Speed
  14. GPS Speed GPS Course & Speed
  15. Speed Sensor Fault
  16. Auto Speed Sensor Transition
  17. Trim Filter

• Oil Level
  • Oil Temperature
  • Oil Pressure
  • Low-Oil Warning[SUP]2[/SUP]
  • Oil System Fault
  • Reserve Oil[SUP]2[/SUP]
  • Fuel Level
  • Fuel Used
  • Fuel Flow
  • Fuel Range
  • Fuel to Waypoint
  • Low-Fuel Warning
  • Water in Fuel Fault[SUP]4[/SUP]
  • Bi-/Tri-Data Screens
  • Min-Max Indication
  • Favorites
  • Descriptive Fault Text

• Low Depth Warning
  • Depth
  • Sea Temperature
  • Time of Day
  • Horn Fault
  • Ignition Fault
  • Injector Fault
  • Engine Alarms
  • Battery Voltage
  • Water Pressure
  • Coolant Temperature
  • Coolant Pressure
  • Engine Horn
  • Dot Matrix LCD Display
  • System Link Range Connection
  • Trip Log
  • Boost
  • Customizable Splash Screen

1- Features available depend on engine and installation
2- Available on outboard engines only
3- Only Available on MercCruiser engines

Parts catalogs for this engine model below,
http://www.iboats.com/496-MAG-BASE-M...iew_id.1693128
https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-...g/umodel/31128
Smart Craft Sensor and Harnesses
Most of the basic systems of the engine components should read but if you want any additional items to read such as fuel tank level then you'd have to buy & connect the wiring harnesses to do so. Being the year you have (02) and a smart craft stern drive and possibly smart craft transom, it's a 50/50 if you have all the smart transom sensors all ready installed from factory new.

Raypex

Seaman
Fun times,
Thank you. This is the most straightforward info I have gotten since I began investigating this idea. My boat is in the repair shop right now but when I get it back, I will look for the harness. I will post when I see what I have.
I appreciate your help.
Ray

Raypex

Seaman
I bought it last year and never had it looked at by a marine mechanic. I thought it needed a gimble bearing due to a slight rumble. I figured I'd have them replace bellows and seals, shift cable, etc. since I don't know how old they are. The mechanic called and told me the gimble ring and swivel shaft needed attention. We are having the ring repaired by JR marine and the mechanic is doing all the other stuff too.
I am hoping to get her back this week and get a few more days in before end of season.