Shinny Pretty Lights and Gadgets

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know how much I'll get from this because I'm puzzled (which doesn't take that much). Been wanting to redo my helm with all the new pretty bobbles, gadgets and cool stuff. No I don't need the stuff, just want to do it and unable to figure out what I need to get.

Looked at Simrad, Raymarine, Northstar, Garmin and others till my head spins. Been looking most the time at Raymarine.
What I would want now
12 inch touch display, maybe 14
Inland charts
Sonar with high contrast bottom imaging
Water temp

Plan to get with or add
Digital radar
FLIR

Was also looking at interfacing engine sensors

The e Series has

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, have you checked your wallet to see if it can support your new wants? Because that "stuff" sounds expensive. :noidea:

alldodge

Staff member
Yep checked it and noticed moths but I think they were just there waiting for the new funds from the money tree :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yep checked it and noticed moths but I think they were just there waiting for the new funds from the money tree :D

Oh man, you got moths, all I get is cob webs. :eek:

I think somebody cut down all my little money trees before they even got old enough to start producing. :cold:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ray marine is pretty nice stuff, yeah a bit pricy, but preforms well. It can be paired up with the flir, and all your other electronics.

alldodge

Staff member
Cool, thanks. I have requested access to their forum so I can ask what works together and what might work best

Biggest thing with me is I don't want to do this again

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Don't know how much I'll get from this because I'm puzzled (which doesn't take that much). Been wanting to redo my helm with all the new pretty bobbles, gadgets and cool stuff. No I don't need the stuff, just want to do it and unable to figure out what I need to get.

Looked at Simrad, Raymarine, Northstar, Garmin and others till my head spins. Been looking most the time at Raymarine.
What I would want now
12 inch touch display, maybe 14
Inland charts
Sonar with high contrast bottom imaging
Water temp

Plan to get with or add
Digital radar
FLIR

Was also looking at interfacing engine sensors

The e Series has

Having used most of those manufacturers at one time or another, I'd go with Garmin or Simrad. Just never been a fan of British electrical engineering

What draws you to Ray?

alldodge

Staff member
Like the looks and as a former DoD employee thinking Raymarine would be in the Raytheon arena (probably not), but do like the way they look. Do like the FLIR for night time stuff. I know the stuff I worked with in the DoD was really nice stuff. Want it expandable so I can add other stuff later if I don't buy it all at once.

Currently have a Garmin 625S (I think the number is right), and have bought other stuff which later turned out to not be what I wanted.

I do dive but know the discrimination of the pic you will see below the boat is not a pic, and can be deceiving. Like the idea of seeing in the night, seeing below and having a unit which will given me engine data if I decide to remove gauges and let it log the data

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Like the looks and as a former DoD employee thinking Raymarine would be in the Raytheon arena (probably not), but do like the way they look
The Raytheon marine division was bought out by Raymarine. Actually was more of a spinoff. I was working for Raytheon around then too and we also got spun off into our own company. I was able to get employee discounts on those products but never ended up buying any.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The Raytheon marine division was bought out by Raymarine. Actually was more of a spinoff. I was working for Raytheon around then too and we also got spun off into our own company. I was able to get employee discounts on those products but never ended up buying any.
Raymarine LTD. bought Raytheon marine division in 2001. FLIR bought them out in 2010. Raymarines headquarter remains in Portmouth, U.K.

No, I'm not an old DOD guy. Sold products and mangers projects for an electronics manufacturer in the UK for a number of years. If you've ever worked on a British automobile, you'd know what I mean...lol

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Like the looks and as a former DoD employee thinking Raymarine would be in the Raytheon arena (probably not), but do like the way they look. Do like the FLIR for night time stuff. I know the stuff I worked with in the DoD was really nice stuff. Want it expandable so I can add other stuff later if I don't buy it all at once.

Currently have a Garmin 625S (I think the number is right), and have bought other stuff which later turned out to not be what I wanted.

I do dive but know the discrimination of the pic you will see below the boat is not a pic, and can be deceiving. Like the idea of seeing in the night, seeing below and having a unit which will given me engine data if I decide to remove gauges and let it log the data
the problem you run into with combo units is that no one company makes the best performing unit in each category. This forces you to prioritize your needs to pick the best solution.

For radar and conventional sonar, nothing comes close to Furuno.

For chart plotting, its Simrad and Garmin. Garmin has better support and a lot of features you don't find on other units. Ex-lowrance users tend to like Simrad.

Ray and Garmin lead the pack when it comes CHIRP sonar. I give Garmin the edge in usability

Down scan and side scan have pretty significant limitations. They work well if you can live with the limitations.

Not familiar with Garmin 626. What don't you like on it?

FLIR is nice for the wow factor but no substitute for a good quality radar unit.

Sorry about the format. Responding on my cell phone

alldodge

Staff member
It all started with wanting to redesign my helm. I don't need the speed-o, use the gps. Like the idea of moving some of the gauges into a large screen. The good thing is mine is a single engine so I have room. My gps is the 536s (just looked it up) and does a nice with chart plot, speed and temp.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-Waterproof-Chartplotter-Sounder/dp/B002JM3IA6

I like the 536 but I'm unable to get everything on one screen I want to see, have to switch screens. The FLIR would be nice "if" its about as good as the adds show, when traveling around at night with no moon. Agree a good radar should work even in fog. This is not my helm but does show the 536 in the center mines on the left
formula.jpg

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Everyone has their favorites, I prefer gamin.
really user friendly, graphics are pretty good
can be interfaced with flir for view or view/control

they have come I out with alot of new features
but
its really all about who you are loyal too

alldodge

Staff member
Hey dingbat, what do you think about Furuno's digital Doppler radar?

Also open vs dome, and I'm inland. Open looks cool though :D

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like dingbat does receive PM's I'll try this
What do you think about Furuno's digital Doppler radar?
Any better or worst then regular Doppler for inland boating?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks GA it is a good read. Do like the idea of wireless but wonder how much of an issue this would be in the future. Currently most wireless cameras can be seen by others unless some kind of encryption is done. Don't have a smart phone or tablet, but there are a lot of apps for those things. The Admiral has one and most apps are bad news. Find an app and read the fine print and your giving everything on the phone to the company that made the app.

Still haven't found anything about regular vs regular Doppler, but will keep looking

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Doppler allows you to derive direction and speed from the signal allowing you to plot direction and speed data to screen. An experienced radar user would do the same from experience. The lower power allows it to be installed on smaller boats.

Cons...wider beam angles and less energy on a target than conventional radar. Give me a conventional array to find birds.

Which one is better depends on your needs and expectations. Inshore, traffic detection only, Solid state radar is the way to go

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, looks like I didn't say what I was thinking, it was regular Doppler vs digital Doppler.

Guess is the same, more power larger antenna equals longer range and can see smaller objects. Digital not as refined but may do OK with inland lakes