Transducer in the keel

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all I just wanted to know if it would be ok to mount a GT 52 transducer into a cutout in the keel it would mean that both ends will be blocked off but I'm not sure if that will make any difference to the workings of the transducer, any advice as always most welcome.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
transducers tranmit/recieve the sound waves out the bottom, you will be fine.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not sure that's such a good idea. The transducer may function there but what about the keel's integrity? Assuming the keel was originally sized to do the job, reducing its size at a midpoint may not be wise. Making any kind of structural weak spot in the middle of a support beam creates a "stress riser" which concentrates the effect of stress at that point. If you are able to locate the transducer toward one end of the keel, I don't think you'll have a problem. - Grandad

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I dont think it would be an issue.
what little cutout you would make I dont think would weaken the keel that much, and it being flush mounted would effect it either

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guy's it would only be about an inch deep of a cutout if needed I could put marine plywood gussets on each side to add back the strength. I might even do it the full length of the keel just to help any future splitting of the oak.

fishrdan

Admiral
That's quite a project there, looks like it's coming along well.

Why not attach the ducer to the transom, cable too short or want it mounted mid-ship? How about making a long tapered fairing block that would house the ducer and attach to the keel, or leading and trailing firing blocks with the ducer sitting in the middle?

For fitting the ducer inside the keel I wonder it it would make a weak spot, or if building it up to compensate for the lost wood could create a hard spot in the keel? (Not a marine architect here, just spit-balling...)

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's quite a project there, looks like it's coming along well.

Why not attach the ducer to the transom, cable too short or want it mounted mid-ship? How about making a long tapered fairing block that would house the ducer and attach to the keel, or leading and trailing firing blocks with the ducer sitting in the middle?

For fitting the ducer inside the keel I wonder it it would make a weak spot, or if building it up to compensate for the lost wood could create a hard spot in the keel? (Not a marine architect here, just spit-balling...)

The prop is on a shaft so there would be too much turbulence if I mount on the transom.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rather than cutting the keel why not mount it right beside the keel?

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rather than cutting the keel why not mount it right beside the keel?

The keel is quite large so it would have to be a bit away from it for the side scan to work also I will be doing a few trips on the canals where there can be all sorts of crap from washing machines to shopping trolleys under the water :blue: so I wanted to give the transducer some sort of protection.