Johnson "deadman" switch

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a 96 pontoon boat with a 2000 Johnson 40 and the common side-mount remote. The one with the kill switch clip that surrounds the key. Since the engine can be operated with the kill switch clip in place or off--what exactly is it supposed to do?

(I thought all kill switches worked the same--by grounding the ignition)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I/O's open up the ignition, OB's ground the ignition.

could have a bad kill switch on your OB.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have an operators manual but I've been told this is in there:
"In an emergency situation, the engine can be started without the clip in place. Follow normal starting procedure. Reinstall clip as soon as possible"

So...ummm...what's the point of the killswitch?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Referring to the quote above--how does a killswitch perform its safety function yet doesn't prevent starting & running whether attached or not? I just don't get it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
never had one that would allow the motor to be started or stay running if the clip wasnt there.

Alumarine

Captain
Referring to the quote above--how does a killswitch perform its safety function yet doesn't prevent starting & running whether attached or not? I just don't get it.

Well, it won't perform any function if it doesn't work.
If the switch is not connected to anything it won't work.
Or maybe the switch is broken?

The johnson forum might have some answers.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
You're missing my point. The manual says it will run with or without it.

Where can I find a diagram or schematic so I can see how it's supposed to work? Looking at it I don't see what that plastic clip snapped onto the ignition switch body is doing.
On others I've had it was obvious that the clip lifted a plunger that moved contacts. Oh this Johnson remote it's not clear what the clip does.

Last edited:

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
"In an emergency situation, the engine can be started without the clip in place. Follow normal starting procedure. Reinstall clip as soon as possible"

Does anyone else's manual say the motor can be run without the killswitch clip installed?

Alumarine

Captain
I don't know anything about your control.
On my merc's I can operate it with or without the clip.
If I use the clip and attach it to myself it will stop the motor if I fall out or in my case when I get up and move to the back of the boat.

If I don't use the clip and the switch is in the correct position the motor runs fine.
Again, I don't know what your control looks like.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
guy48065, I think I understand what you are asking. So here is a little primer on kill switches. Yes some call them dead man switch or kill switch. And most all of them are designed to work even if you don't have the lanyard to make them operate properly. But not as you seem to think. Mercury have a toggle type switch setup that you inserted the clip on and flipped the toggle switch up into the run position. Then if you fell out or got out of your seat, the clip (attached to the lanyard that was attached to the operator) would pull out flipping that toggle switch back down and the engine would stop. And if for some reason that lanyard was lost and you needed to go, you could simply flip the toggle switch up and the engine wold now run again. But you don't have any kill switch operation that way. It looked something like these.

THKS-1-DP-attached.jpg

Other marine engine manufactures did something quite similar. But their operation was basically the same. hey use a "C" type clip and install it around a push button setup like these.

s-l300.jpg

So as you can see that even if you lost the lanyard you still can manipulate the kill switch to run the engine in and emergency situation.

Does that mean you don't need the kill switch. Yes and no. Some people never you theirs even with it installed. They simply disable its function and boat on. So the kill switch can all the engine to run either way. Would I run my boats with teh kill switch disabled that way? Absolutely not. It is there for a very good reason. I hope that clarifies things a lot better. JMHO