Trolling motor wiring

ohiou_98

Cadet
I've replaced my old trolling motor, and when installing the new one I noticed the plug needs replaced as well. I went to my local marine dealer looking for a replacement plug/ receptacle, and they talked me into not using a plug and just wiring direct to my battery. Apparently, "all the guys are doing it now". (In order to turn the TM off, just flip the breaker switch.) I have a bow mount TM on a bass boat. The pos and neg cables from the battery to the front of the boat are 4 gauge wire, but the pos and neg wires from my motor guide TM are much smaller. Right now there are eyes at the end of all the cables. 1. What is the recommended way of connecting the two wires, 2. How should I connect two different gauge wires?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ohiou_98, You can do what you think, but i certainly would not connect any trolling motor straight to the battery. Even with a circuit breaker or fuse inline. While that eliminates the connection resistance for a little more voltage and current capability, you can't remove the trolling motor ever again. So I personally would forgo that idea and install a new quality receptacle and plug setup like you have now. But a new receptacle and even a plug for the trolling motor side and do it the old way. Then if you want to remove the trolling motor to store anytime. you can with ease. But that is just my opinion. I am sure others will chime in with their ideas and suggestion for you to choose from. JMHO

Oh as far as the difference between the gauges of the wire, it is a good thing to have a smaller gauge on the trolling motor then the other way around. It just means the wiring in the boat can handle more current then your trolling motor will need. And that IS a good thing.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you don't need to remove the motor then it doesn't make much of a difference if you use the plug or not. The difference in wire size is fine.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm cheap.... But put in a plug/receptacle like gm mentioned. I have kids on the boat and want to be able to "see" that the trolling motor is unplugged.

On my last boat I had the TM wired direct to the batteries, crimp/solder/heat shrink tubing, worked perfectly fine. Though, if I were to do this again, I'd probably terminate the wires with ring terminals, bolt them together and heatshrink over the connections, or use a dual post terminal block to connect the wires.

http://www.iboats.com/Insulated-Stu...887396--session_id.516319038--view_id.1184342

gm280

Supreme Mariner
One reason that I like to be able to remove the trolling motor is, depending where you live, or how long the boat sits between outings, or even when you stop in who knows where to get eats and such, you can remove the trolling motor and lock it up to where sticky fingers don't walk off with it. A cheap pair of wire cutters can remove a direct wired trolling motor quickly. So being able to store the TM is a more secure option in my thinking. JMHO