2011 minn Kota edge 45 problem

423fishin

Cadet
2 weeks ago I had to replace the bottom plate on the head of my trolling motor due to broke screw holes.its a pretty a simple fix while it was down I also redone the seals and orings on the motor part of it checked the armature and brushed everything looks good, got it all back together took it to make sure everything is good and for some reason it acts as if the polarity is reversed but all the wiring is color coded and it's hooked up correctly. So Luckily the trolling motor is on its own battery by itself so I switched the wires on the battery and it runs like it should!

Now here's how I've tested everything--
Hooked positive to positive,negative to negative, took cover off head out volt meter to red and black wire reads positive volts but motor turns wrong way,

Hook positive to negative, negative to positive hook volt meter up to red and black wire on the head and reads negative voltage but motor turns the correct way.

I've ran out of stuff to test.
Any help is appreciated

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
When you assembled the lower unit you got the brush plate or housing 180 degrees out of position.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I totally agree with Silvertip. You installed the motor windings 180 degrees out. So you either swap the wires in the head unit, OR take the foot apart and reposition the motor correctly. It is your choice. I know I would have to take apart the foot and do it right or my conscience would bug me every time I used it. But that is how I'm wired. :facepalm:

423fishin

Cadet
So I need to spin the magnet housing 180? Yes trust me it's buggin the absolute crap out of me. I never took the brush plate out

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So I need to spin the magnet housing 180? Yes trust me it's buggin the absolute crap out of me. I never took the brush plate out

If you moved the magnet housing then yes you need to turn it. It is all timed with the magnets and the brushes. So if any of those have changed or were moved, it will run in reverse.