Which switch to use SPST or SPDT?

moecarama

Cadet
I just installed a GPS antenna via a NMEA2000 network. I installed the mandatory network power off switch (spst). It is suggested that the unit be connected with a switch also to prevent electrolysis in the power cable plug. I don't want to drill more holes in the dash. My question to those familiar with this method of wiring; is will a single pole double throw switch be better to shut off power to both systems; as opposed to (2) separate single pole single throw switches.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Whats wrong with silicon grease as this nmea 2000 network seems as if you need lots of extra fittings including cables clips etc and nothings cheap with the system. Are they all going to need switches on them too.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nothing mandatory about an on/off switch for your NMEA 2000 network. Keeping power on a line to prevent corrosion is bunk as well.

8 years, saltwater only, four (4) NMEA 2000 modules, no switches, no corrosion, no failures.

Turn your battery switch off at the end of the day and forget about it.

Last edited:

moecarama

Cadet
I already installed a in-line fuse and switch on the NMEA power cable to the antenna. It allegedly continues to draw power even though the unit is shut off. I will be installing a main battery shutoff switch in the battery compartment; within the next few day's............thanks for the info!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I already installed a in-line fuse and switch on the NMEA power cable to the antenna. It allegedly continues to draw power even though the unit is shut off. !

They continue to draw power but we're talking milliamperes per hour. About the same as the memory on your am/fm radio. You really only need a switch if you go weeks between use and don't have a battery switch

Last edited:

moecarama

Cadet
I guess I over did the wiring, fusing ,and switch installment. The fuse needs to be in the system; that extra switch.....well its there now, for those extended weeks of no usage you mentioned. The system works great! I never had a Sonar/GPS of this magnitude. I still use my HB Super-Sixty flasher and a Eagle Cuda on my lil boat...............Thanks for the pointers.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
After forgetting to turn the switch on and off for the 22nd time, you'll figure out why I don't have a separate switch.;)

Good luck with your new toy.