86-75hp Merc wiring

bikerrick

Cadet
Need help. Bought a new wiring harness and installed it, it looks the same as the lod one. I have tilt on it and the harness has four wires for it, three male one female. The motor has three wires. Which wires do I need to connect?

bikerrick

Cadet
trim wires

I have four wires on the engine end of the harness meant for the power trim, Tan with female connector, blue and white, green and white, and brown and white all with males. the engine has a blue and white, a green and white and a solid red. Please tell me which ones are connected together, I have tried different things but when I press the switch all I hear is the solenoid click but no motor. all was well till the battery shorted out against the frame and fried the ground wire in the harness from the engine to the control box. I now have a new harness and it is installed and these are the problems I'm having. Thank You.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
From your other threads you have a 1986 Mercury 75 HP outboard. You replaced the boat side wiring harness. Is this correct?
First , how many wires are on the actual trim pump motor. We need to make sure that the wiring harness (new) can match the engine and we are not dealing with a 3 wire to 2 wire conversion

EDIT: Do you have a solenoid that these wires go to or a set of 2 relays?
EDIT2: does this link help, specifically the second picture in post 5. ( yes I know it is not mercury, but trims are similar.
Link : http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...nd-tilt-wiring-question?p=5571634#post5571634

As far as wires, the Blue/Wht wire makes the trim raise. The Green/Wht makes the trim lower.
Can you post pictures of the Boat side wiring harness end, and the engine side, along with the trim pump wires.

Last edited: