Oil Temperature warning systems.

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My outboard is the 115 Yamaha 2 stroke and when on the water often worry if engine is getting oil as required and not overheating.
I prefer not to disconnect the oil injector system and do have the lights indicating any concern with the oil feed but want more.
Have seen the Cole Hersee warning kit which gets good reviews for both an audible warning for oil and temperature concerns.

Not being mechanical would like opinions as to this working on my outboard and tips on installation.
Is it something a wrench fumbling amateur like me could possibly install?

Thanks
Chris

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Confused by your question (mainly how it's worded). Title says "Oil Temperature Alarm". You already have an overheat alarm. If you want an engine water temperature gauge, they are readily available. Oil temperature or Oil pressure are something a two-stroke engine does not need nor is there a way to add one. Oil for a two stroke is not under high pressure but is mixed with the fuel via the oil injection pump. Oil temperature therefore would be meaningless if you intend to measure the temperature of the oil in the tank. It will always be at or slightly above ambient temperature. I suppose you could engineer a very low pressure sender somewhere in the outlet of the injection pump but again, you already have an oil alarm as well. Having gauges adds little additional security since most people don't look at the gauges until the alarm goes off. If your alarm system does not self-test when you first fire the engine, get it fixed or risk what you are trying to avoid by adding unnecessary equipment.

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What I had seen was the Cole Hersee oil temp warning system and thought it would be an added peace of mind if adaptable to my outboard.
The engine is an 1989 Yamaha 115 2 stroke and I hear much negativity about the oil injection systems failing thought this might be an added warning system.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
How would you measure oil temperature on a two stroke engine. As I said, the oil is in a reservoir not in the crankcase like a four stroke engine. You are much worried about measuring something that can't be measured nor is there a need to. You already have an oil injection alarm should it fail or begin to fail. Those oil temperature systems are for four stroke engines that have very hot oil in the crankcase. Two stroke engines are lubricated with oil mixed with the gasoline as it makes its way through the crankcase, up the transfer ports to the combustion chamber. At no point in that path is a temperature reading worth doing. If you are worried about engine temperature, then install a water/cylinder head temperature gauge. And for even added information, install a water pressure gauge. You now would be able to tell how hot the engine is and whether or not the water pump is working.

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
The reason I asked is due to that I added some redundant systems to my 2 stroke Merc and perhaps similar to what I believe you're thinking of and It's definitely do'able. My extra insurance system (micro controller with A/D inputs) monitors both remote tank feed pressure and injection pump out pressure among a few other things and works/runs in parallel with all the stock stuff merc has. Merc already had two ways for me to monitor my engine temp (a OT switch and a dash gauge), so i never added a third temp monitor. But, i have extra channels I'm thinking about monitoring a new type of voltage reg's and its status outputs and their temp's, just for fun and because I can!!...........Work in progress, more later ;)

Apart from the stock oil level sensors in the tanks, pressure in the remote tank feed line can be monitored with a separate system (with a caveat/s for your Yam).Also, your type of Injection pump output/s however might be a bit tougher to monitor due to multiple output lines.

Yam's like yours pump (electrically) the 2 cycle oil at about 12 psi out of the remote tank via a demand/low level call from the main tank's sensor signal. It pumps into the main PH tank ONLY on a demand basis (the caveat) and as needed to top it back off. From the main PH tank, the oil is gravity fed to the oil injection pump where it is metered as per the motor's rpm's/throttle position and is then pumped out the oil tubes to each cylinder.

Given the above, the CH system's I've seen have a pressure monitor that operates down to 3-7 or so psi and it also comes with a engine temp switch that can be mounted to the block somewhere......So both could be added as a separate/independent system similar to mine

To monitor pressure in the remote tank line, and being a bit limited with this ^^^ type of CH system and due your Yam's not having/using continuous/static pressure in the remote feed line, you'll have to use an alarm inhibit of sorts when not pumping and enable the alarm only when pumping........The extra/redundant engine temp ( I assumed that's the temp you want to monitor due to CH's design, the one I saw anyway) monitor would be a simple matter of just mounting the additional switch somewhere, on a head area most likely.

If you like tinkering and have a little extra time, might be a fun learning experience to add a bit more security. I really didn't want any additional gauges and wanted a way to not only have some redundancy but, add some extra insurance too. Works well for my needs and I learned a few things on the way, win-win. :)

Last edited:

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all that and probably much more than I will be able to accomplish.
Accountants are not the best when it comes to mechanical or electrical but do enjoy the learning process.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
All great but he is concerned about and wanting to monitor OIL TEMPERATURE on a two stroke. The question is why and where?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All great but he is concerned about and wanting to monitor OIL TEMPERATURE on a two stroke. The question is why and where?

Agreed. It's impossible, unless he wants to monitor the temp of the oil in the tank, which is beyond useless.

sam am I

Commander
Thanks for all that and probably much more than I will be able to accomplish.
Accountants are not the best when it comes to mechanical or electrical but do enjoy the learning process.

np, It's an acquired taste, no doubt and we've learned something just asking questions!!

All good stuff, and yeah, oil temp on 2 stroker really does nothing, agreed and esp if that was your/the entire/limited gist? IDK, "feed" and "more" was mentioned earlier on and some CH systems are seemingly designed and intended for temp (engine, not oil) and pressure (oil, water, etc). I may have missed the bus entirely..........not the first time, won't be the last. I'll use the age card :0 if i have too.........

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
No worries. I've been wrong before as well. Once I think!!!!! But then being a "duffer" I may suffer from CRS. Chances are only another "duffer" would know what CRS is.

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was looking for two different issues. Never thought of monitoring the temperature of the oil or even why I would want to but was questioning the advantage of monitoring the temperature of the engine and secondly monitoring that the oil injector system was adequately supplying the right amount of flow.
I have seen temperature gauges available and believed the Cole Hersee system appeared to do just that if adaptable for my engine.
What I read on line is there would be a warning buzzer if oil pressure was low OR engine temperature was high.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Again, two stroke engines do not develop oil pressure like a four stroke engine does. There is an oil injection pump but it is a low pressure pump and the engine already has an alarm for it as well as overheat. If you want a visual aid, add a water temp and water pressure gauge. Oil pump monitoring is already being done but adding some sort of visual aid requires some engineering.

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
I was headed in this direction with this CH unit and an accountant could do this ;). Not sure anymore but, this or something similar is what I thought you were after and is what struck my chord reading your intro as it has over-tones of what I built.........

Cole Hersee.jpg

You'd have to add a

1) A Relay for the inhibit (when the pump turns on, the relay closes and then allows the oil switch to sound the buzzer if the oil is less then 3-7 psi)
2) A tee in the oil feed line (the tee would need to be grounded)
3) A threaded mounting hole at or near the cylinder head for the OT temp (200F) switch if your PH doesn't already have one (this sorta looks merc thread to me, perhaps Yam's are the same, IDK)

Last edited: