Any MinnKota Ulterra users out there in heavy seas

boalpd17

Recruit
Is the Ulterra built to handle 3 ft seas at 3 second intervals and take that pounding? I want to put it on a 20 CC loaded weight of 4500 lbs and not tear the unit up.
Thanks,
Phil

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm running a MK 70# PD unit on my 18'er and have had it out tolling in very snotty conditions, 3-4'ers with a close interval, (boat was basically a see-saw) and the TM handled it without issue. It's a 60" shaft TM and the motor kept planted in the water without it sucking air.

Not sure how an Ulterra would compare to a PD, but the motor, prop and shaft are the parts that take the pounding, and they are most likely very close (or the same) between the two...

My boat is a dual console aluminum and probably weights 3500# loaded. I don't troll with the TM going against the waves as that will eat up the batteries quickly, but it will hold it's own going into the waves when needed (reeling in a fish, clearing lines, etc.)

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm sure the Ulterra will handle the 3 foot seas, if you can keep it in the water. The Ulterra is basically a power drive with auto stow and deploy and a few other goodies.
I have a 80lb Ulterra w/60"shaft that I had on a 1850 Lund Tyee i.o. just under a 2500lb boat. Worked really well but still had issues with the prop coming out of the water in bigger seas. It's not a motor problem, it's just the way it is.
Now the motor was relocated to Lund 1950 Tyee Magnum, about a 2900lb boat. I have not had a chance to try it yet but I will be really interested to see how it goes.
If I was fishing 3ft seas and I had a gas kicker motor, I'd fire that up instead of using the bow mount.