head unit installation help!

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, I got a new stereo and wiring it the right way it didn't turn on(R>R,Y>Y,B>B). I got it to work by connecting the yellow and reds all together(connecting all 4 wires together). The head unit works perfectly now and has an on/off button so it won't be constantly draining battery.

Is it okay to leave all 4 those wires connected together?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Connect the red and yellow wire together and connect them to a switch so you can cut power. Otherwise, it will make your battery go dead.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes. The red wire is for pwr, and the yellow is for the radio memory.

Technically, the red wire (switched) is to send a signal to the HU to turn on when the key is on or in the accessory position, and the yellow wire is for constant 12v - which both provides the power for the HU when it is operating, and also provides power when off to save memory. Although this last function is mostly defeated in boats since we use battery on/off switches. This is why some of the better marine head units (brands) have nonvolatile memory which doesn't depend on power to save presets, settings, etc. I now digress,

R055, you can leave it the way you've wired it, with no danger other then you have to make sure you turn it off manually in order to prevent parasitic drain on the battery. It's not the right way to do it, but as you've found, it works. If, when wired correctly, the HU wouldn't turn on, my first suspect would be a blown fuse on the constant (yellow) circuit, or you didn't have the ignition switch in the "on" or "accessory" position when you were testing. But boat wiring tends to be crazy, so it's hard to diagnose without tracing wires sometimes.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Connect the red and yellow wire together and connect them to a switch so you can cut power. Otherwise, it will make your battery go dead.

I thought the yellow one has such low power draw it would take months to drain it?

When you say connect the red and yellow wire together do you mean on the head unit side? The wire side or both?
Thanks

I'm going to try to connect yellow to yellow and I have one live switch that's not connected to anything and connect it to red to see if it works like that so I can have it on a switch but so the time and presets stay.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
But it's okay that all 4 are connected/crossed together?

Personally, if I couldn't do it completely right, I'd at least disconnect the red/switched wire that is coming from the boat side, and tape it off. Connect the Yellow from the boat side and the red and yellow from the head unit wiring harness all together, and you should get the same function.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Technically, the red wire (switched) is to send a signal to the HU to turn on when the key is on or in the accessory position, and the yellow wire is for constant 12v - which both provides the power for the HU when it is operating, and also provides power when off to save memory. Although this last function is mostly defeated in boats since we use battery on/off switches. This is why some of the better marine head units (brands) have nonvolatile memory which doesn't depend on power to save presets, settings, etc. I now digress,

R055, you can leave it the way you've wired it, with no danger other then you have to make sure you turn it off manually in order to prevent parasitic drain on the battery. It's not the right way to do it, but as you've found, it works. If, when wired correctly, the HU wouldn't turn on, my first suspect would be a blown fuse on the constant (yellow) circuit, or you didn't have the ignition switch in the "on" or "accessory" position when you were testing. But boat wiring tends to be crazy, so it's hard to diagnose without tracing wires sometimes.

While connected correctly I checked the fuse on the yellow wire(15 amp) and it looked good. I think my ignition switch goes from off>run>start. My old head unit worked perfect with those wires and I connected my old head unit again just to be sure and it still worked.

Don't think I have an acc position because the first turn I turn my keys the alarm would turn on and stay on till I auctally start the boat.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don't connect your red wire to the ignition switch. You don't want to have to have it on to run the stereo

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I thought the yellow one has such low power draw it would take months to drain it?
Depends on the stereo. You have a battery switch that allows you to turn your battery off when not using the boat? If so, you MAY not have to worry about it.

Measure the voltages on your existing wires to see when they are on. Don't just trust that they are the way you want them.

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't connect your red wire to the ignition switch. You don't want to have to have it on to run the stereo

Assuming he has no accessory position on his ignition switch, I agree. If you do, it's more automatic then having a separate switch... Behaves just like a car.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Depends on the stereo. You have a battery switch that allows you to turn your battery off when not using the boat? If so, you MAY not have to worry about it.

Yes I have the switch to turn the battery on and off. I just like the idea of a toggle switch that can turn the radio on and off.

I also want it on the toggle switch so when I'm camping and come on the boat at night just to relax with friends at the docks and listen to music I don't have to dig to the battery switch for it.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I also want it on the toggle switch so when I'm camping and come on the boat at night just to relax with friends at the docks and listen to music I don't have to dig to the battery switch for it.
Yep...both my boats have switches to apply power to the radio.

I was talking about powering the yellow wire all the time. You want it to turn off with the battery switch.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Yep...both my boats have switches to apply power to the radio.

I was talking about powering the yellow wire all the time. You want it to turn off with the battery switch.

Alright I'm going to try connecting the red to a toggle switch when I get home from work.

Thanks for all the replies!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
And since you will eventually turn the power off to the yellow wire when you turn your main battery switch off, just wire it to the toggle switch as well! :)

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Update: got it all hooked up to a toggle switch and works great on/off with toggle switch! Now I need to auctally hardwire it good, I just used electric tape to make sure it works good before soldering the connections.