Evinrude 1989 110HP - Tilt Trim Problem

Rgecawicz

Recruit
Hi... Up until 1 month ago the Tilt Trim on my 1989 Evinrude 100 hp worked fine. Then the Tilt Trim motor started running very slowly in up or down direction. At the same time I noticed the relays in the TNT were very hot. Replaced both relays with new ones, and the same problem... no change Pulled one of the relays and the Tilt Trim motor worked normally in one direction. Move the relay to the other socket and again the motor worked normally and correctly in the opposite direction.

I checked and metered all of the wiring and can find no problem. Each time both relays are connected into the TNT, the motor runs very slowly and the relays become very hot.

Would really appreciate help in getting this solved. Thanks very much!

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
When only using one relay does it get hot? If not it sounds like your problem may be the switch failing and putting some power to the relay that is supposed to be dead when the other one is being used, the solenoids do 2 things - 1. prevent a large power draw through the switch and switch wiring, 2. one solenoid reverses power so the motor runs in the opposite direction

sam am I

Commander
Motor runs very slow + hot relay's = something dragging in the pivot mech and/or motor bushings dry/shot.........just a guess though.

Last edited:

Rgecawicz

Recruit
Thanks for the input. The relays do get very hot when both are connected. When only one relay is connected there is no heat at all. Likewise the motor and pump are working great. Perhaps it's time to spend some money. Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Hang on.........I had to go back and re-read your intro in #1 after just what you in #4, this makes no sense!!

If you pull one (1) of either relay, the motor shouldn't move at all........My re-understanding ( I had to double check Rude's wiring) is that while one (the energized one) relay connects the 12V, the other (the un-energized) of the two relay's provides the ground (going down for ex). To reverse this, the opposite is done (going up for ex).

Rude used the basic SPDT Relay driven "H - Bridge" on a two wire motor config in your boat as far as the documentation I could find and reviewed indicated. Might you confirm you do in fact have a two wire motor? With both wires being isolated from ground?

If it is two wire,

Something somewhere seems to be providing a ground where it shouldn't....I'm wondering about that motor being messed up but, you said it works fine....but, where is this phantom (insert eerie music) ground coming from if a/the relay that provides the ground is removed........hmmmmm, head scratcher this one. I think if you find that answer Grasshopper, you'll have found your solution........

Last edited: