Is a VHF Marine Radio a good idea in MN and IA waters on 19' boat, or is it a waste?

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am updating and adding several pieces of equipment to my 19' Proline fishing boat, which is mainly used in Minnesota and Iowa lakes (nothing in the Mississippi or Missouri rivers is planned). Some of the lakes are larger such as West Battle, Okaboji, Lake of the Woods, many are smaller lakes such as Saylorville, Big Creek etc.

The boat has an older (2001) style VHF radio on it, and I am wondering if there is a benefit to upgrading to a newer model with Weather, GPS and DSC, or is that a complete waste on inland lakes?

I like the idea of a radio, but then again if I am the only one on the water with one, I could only talk to myself...more than I already do...

Does anyone else use VHF radios on inland lakes?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I gave mine away when I moved from boating on an international boundary river (st. Lawrence) to an inland lake. It was a handheld, and went to my father in law who salmon fishes offshore in Washington, as a backup.

To get to your question though, if your existing vhf works, do you ever use it? If so, do you ever hear any traffic?

The weather feeds are nice, but all of that is available by cell phone, assuming you have service.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It's a waste except on the Mississippi River and even then your eyes can see a barge tow coming. In an emergency, a barge operator would likely relay a distress call but he will not turn around to save you.

Alumarine

Captain
I used to use them on Lake of the Woods but not sure how the cell service is there now.
But if you had a working VHS I'd leave it alone.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
meh, I don't wear my life jacket when I'm on the boat but it is there.

Id just hate to have to use it, kind of like life insurance.

I can see how a VHF is now or becoming obsolete due to the scope of cell phones. However for now Ill agree with Marc

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well, it is an older model, without DSC, GPS or any of the other nice bells & whistles... I guess for now I will just leave it as is and not upgrade. If I start doing major rivers, locks, etc, then I will think about the upgrade..

For now, I will just hope it is at least good for fishing reports :)

Attachments

• photo248107.JPG
    photo248107.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 0

frankk

Seaman
Here on the Chain of Lakes, some use it to coordinate but it always come on local weather before i remove the lines and depart the pier

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Uniden is a good one, though, or were good ones back in the day. I'm surprised yours doesn't have a weather setting (usually four or five channels) -- seems to me you could just tune them in (ch. 5 I think is one). I don't think I would update it unless you are on big water, but would keep it operating -- that is unless you run across something really nice in a garage sale.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wish it did have weather, that is the one thing that I would really like to have. I've Never seen one at a garage sale in Iowa, but they are relatively inexpensive anyway, so who knows... will watch craigslist and ebay and see what comes up..

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a marine band on my Pontoon, but I also have a scanner with weather capability, and I also keep a ham radio handy.