1981 skeeter ignition issues?

dzelanko

Cadet
boat: 1981 skeeter f16, 90hp johnson outboard.

the other day, i went to start the boat. the starter seemed weak, and it wouldnt turn fast enough to start. next thing i know, the ignition switch seemed powerless, and wouldnt even apply the electric choke. When i went to disconnect the battery, the connectors were hot enough to burn my hand. The battery reads 12.35 volts and still works the other functions. ideas? suggestions? PS the ignition was just replaced

Bondo

Staff member
When i went to disconnect the battery, the connectors were hot enough to burn my hand.

Ayuh,..... Yer wirin' is Dirty, 'n Corroded,.....

With electricity, resistance equals Heat,....

Corrosion is resistance,....

Clean 'em to shiny metal clean, assemble 'em, 'n grease 'em to keep 'em that way,....

'n if yer battery has wing-nuts, toss 'em, 'n get hex-nuts you can tighten with a wrench,....

Last edited:

dzelanko

Cadet
The power choke also does not work,NOTE i did clean all terminals and connections. still nothing. the ignition switch does not appear damaged.. any ideas?

Nahunta

Recruit
Had exactly the same problem with my 2001 4-stroke, high compression. Dragging starter, getting worse each time. Tried new battery,cleaning and tightening all connections. Finally I removed both plugs. The starter then spun freely. Ran starter three times (very high speed) for thirty seconds, with five minute intervals. Replaced plugs. Problem solved. Engine cranks and turns better than ever. Very likely, spinning the starter and motor rapidly remove carbon or dirt build up. Had not seen this solution offered anywhere. Worked like a champ!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Remember that there are two ends to those battery cables. Cleaning the battery end is just one part of the process. Making sure they are tight when you are done is another. Both ends need to clean and tight. But if the terminals at the battery were hot, then you still have a problem in that area. Is the cable insulation bulging next to the terminal? If so, there is corrosion under the insulation.