Boat lift electric motor conversion?

4everRS

Cadet
I recently bought a used boat lift in great shape. It has a strong arm electric winch. 120v. I don't have power down to my dock and I'm wondering if it's possible to convert the winch to 12v? If so, I would just get a battery box, battery, solar charger and be done with it.

alldodge

Staff member
Anything is possible, but I would suggest sticking with what you have. Going to a 12V motor to do the same work will take a large motor and more batteries. Using what you have will take more batteries then a 12V motor (conversion loss), but 120VAC works more efficient. What is the amp or watt rating of the motor?

4everRS

Cadet
Oh Geez. I'd rather have a line trenched down to it, then use a generator....

Maybe I'll call the company to see if I can just buy the 12v drive motor....

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I'm having trouble with the word "lift" in calling it a boat lift. My mental picture of a boat lift, picks the entire boat out of the water. The link in your post is one used to pull a boat on to a trailer, or a dolly which will pull it on a track up a ramp of sorts.

So in that case the Armstrong draws 6 amps at 120VAC and has a 3 minute duty cycle. So you can run it for 3 minutes then it needs to rest for 20 minutes. Not to many folks pay any attention to duty cycle, but this is the main reason things burn up over time. Has a 4000 lb line pull

You can get a 12V DC 4000 lb winch for under $200. It uses a planetary gear set (128, 2:1) to gain the power to pull at 4K lb

http://www.amazon.com/4000lb-Electric-Winch-Corded-Remote/dp/B00C1QEQJC

But back to your question, you might be able to find a 12V motor which could be used, but you would need to do some gear reduction to achieve the same power. With the 12V winch you could use a solar charger and battery, but this is another issue. The standard solar changer does not put out much. It would not be able to recharge the battery in a day. You would need to get a larger solar panel to produce enough power to recharge.

All depends on how often it would be used

sam am I

Commander
It appears this is a 12VDC/4500# direct bolt-in replacement motor, double check though.......It's going to pull about 70 amps from your batts however, I seriously doubt the solar is going to work out/keep up so well but, I reckon depending on usage, panel size/cost/sun index as Dodge says.... Personally thinking it might actually be best/less hassle to re-consider a gen (quieter/electric start etc if need be) or yes, ditching in that 120AC......GL

Last edited:

4everRS

Cadet
Thanks again for the responses guys. Sorry for this late reply.

I ended up having a spool of 10/2 wg trenched in. Only cut through 3 sprinkler lines. Yikes. That has been repaired and everything works great. The pontoon is now high and dry, on the lift.

Thanks again