Depth sounder on Garmin GPS Map 4008 not working

Luke415

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I recently bought a boat with a Garmin GPS Chartplotter. It has the depthsounder, fishfinder and fish-eye view functions. The depthsounder is currently not working. I did an update so the software should be good. Does anyone know any recources for troubleshooting and fixing this issue? I'm hoping it is something as simple as a cleaning the connections, and not something where I have to replace wiring or depth-sounding equipment...

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The 4008 in itself isn't a deep finder. Which black box sounder module are you using?

Luke415

Seaman Apprentice
The 4008 in itself isn't a deep finder. Which black box sounder module are you using?
I'm honestly not sure. All I know is that it is supposed to be the depth finder, there is not a separate depth finder on board. The chartplotter is working but in the lower left corner of the screen where the depth is displayed it just has two dashes: "--" instead of the number digits of the depth. Do you know how I would find out?

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm honestly not sure. All I know is that it is supposed to be the depth finder, there is not a separate depth finder on board. The chartplotter is working but in the lower left corner of the screen where the depth is displayed it just has two dashes: "--" instead of the number digits of the depth. Do you know how I would find out?

Thanks
I can tell you with 100% certainty that your unit does not have a built-in sounder function.

The data (depth) to populate that box comes via NMEA 0183 from a seperate unit

Luke415

Seaman Apprentice
I can tell you with 100% certainty that your unit does not have a built-in sounder function.

The data (depth) to populate that box comes via NMEA 0183 from a seperate unit
Good to know, dingbat. Thanks!