voltage gauge only reads properly for one of two batteries when engine running

jackmorgan

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 2007 four winns vista 258 with dual battery switch (1,2, 1+2). When the engine is off, the reading on the dash voltmeter matches that taken directly on each battery. When the engine is running, it only registers the correct voltage on battery 2. Battery 1 reads as if the engine is off. I did turn off shore power and the battery charger when taking these readings. If i reverse the batteries the same thing happens - still only battery 2 showing the same voltage taken directly at the batteries. On the back of the battery selector switch I noticed that the 'ship systems' wire is only connected to battery 2 - there is no continuity to battery 1 and ship systems when the switch is on battery 1. This seems very odd. I would think the dash voltmeter should read the voltage of the battery that is switched on at the time? Any insight would be appreciated. thank you.

Jack

alldodge

Staff member
It's standard for the voltmeter at the helm to read off the battery feeding the motor from the purple wire on the run side of the ignition switch. The house (ships system) battery is not read by the meter. If there was a voltmeter installed to read the house battery it is normally installed inside the cabin.

Being able to read all batteries at the bats and all read the same is a good thing, it means all your bats are healthy.