All gauges on starboard engine are slightly lower compared to port

sarnone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, had all VDO gauges that needed replacing on a newly purchased boat. Before replacing I noticed that all the starboard side gauges like oil psi, rpm, temp and trim are all a little lower. I since replaced them all, since the faces were falling off and I still have the same problem. There isn't that much of a discrepancy, but seems like it might have solution. Thanks for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its because the schlocky worker with the drill and hole saw that made the original holes didnt really care about quality.

Reactions: Fed

sarnone

Seaman Apprentice
Let me clarify what I mean by "lower", the indicators on every gauge on the starboard side all read slightly lower values compared to the port side gauges. Sorry for the confusion.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
you have two sets of gauges reading the same values, and getting different results?

maybe I'm reading it too fast

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check your ground and +batt wire connections. that would affect reading

gauges are merely an indicator (with about 10% error in the gauges and 10% error in the senders)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
its because the schlocky worker with the drill and hole saw that made the original holes didnt really care about quality.

This might be true! LOL

Sornone - Find the fuse for the instrument power on the STBD side and remove it. Use a jumper wire from the power stud on one of the Port gauges to a STBD gauge and see if the gauges read closer on both sides. If that doesn't make a difference, jumper the grounds together on both sides. If there is still a difference on readings, go back to the STBD battery and clean the connections. Do both batteries while you're at it.

I'm guessing there is some corrosion in the wiring feed to the dash on the STBD side. Pulling and reinserting the fuses a couple of time may help, too.