Alternator problem

Rjbrice15

Cadet
I have a 92 stingray with a 3.0 mercruiser. The other day I was out and the analog Gauge read 11v for a good run to the other side of the lake, then spike up to 16v. I came back in and put a meter on it. It's charging at a constant 15.8v on my multimeter. This is high. Just looking for some direction on this. After reading a little I put the meter back on it today and started it up. Put the meter on AC and im getting a reading of 34.4v AC. Should I get a new alternator or is this okay? Just bought the boat 3 months ago and put it in the water last month.

alldodge

Staff member
15.8V is to high, pull the ALT and take it to the local auto store and have them check it. Using the AC side on a DC circuit will nt provide a good reading, that said I think you have one side of the diode pack which has burned out

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yep, as alldodge said, one or more of your diode triad has gone south hence the high AC reading. It should be close to 0V AC.

Last edited:

Rjbrice15

Cadet
Thanks guys. We have a local electric shop that does marine alternators. I called him this morning and will be taking it to him later. Thanks again