No power on 1985 beachcraft w/ 5.7l v8 OMC and stinger outdrive

I bought this boat as a project for the summer, It didn't come with a battery so I put one in, but when I turn the key I get no power to the dash or toggle switches.

I try to turn over the engine and nothing happens, I hear a click the first time but not like the starter clicking but something else maybe, after that no noise when I turn the key.

I hear the same click when I try to adjust trim as well, one click then nothing, may be getting power to some parts but not everything? Battery gauge and all other gauges show no activity when switched on.

I don't have a manual for the boat and can't seem to find one either, it's a cuddy cabin 19ft.

Pic is attached.

http://imgur.com/a/XVjXw

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Start by tracing the battery cables and clean all connections, there may be a battery switch somewhere.

Look at the starter and it's connections, make sure they a clean and bright shinny metal.

If after that you still get nothing, get a volt meter and start checking voltages. Look for 12V at the starter, key switch, engine breaker

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Clicking when turning the key says that at least the starter and ignition circuits have power -- but either not enough of it or there are solenoid or starter issues. But before you dash out and start replacing stuff, make sure the battery you installed is good and has a full charge. Even new batteries may not be fully charged. ​Then make sure the large battery cable ends are clean and tight at the battery. There are two ends to each battery cable, cleaning one end doesn't help if the other end is corroded. If there is still no response from the starter, try jumping it directly from the battery. If that fails, you likely need a starter. If it works, the solenoid or slave solenoid if it has one may need replacing.

The instrument panel is normally fed from a totally separate circuit directly from the battery. Check the battery area for two smaller gauge wires (about #10 gauge). Those need to be connected for the toggle switches to work. The gauges should come alive when the key is on. There is a lot more to check but for now, make these checks and then check back with your progress.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Sounds like corroded ground connections to me,.....

Thank you for the replies, I have charged the battery fully and still the same result, I was looking for a breaker but instead found 2 50A fuses on top near the carb, both seem to be good but I'm replacing them anyways.

Engine is an OMC 574SPHRCOK, I cannot find a manual for this model, any ideas?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Sounds like corroded ground connections to me,.....

I will be cleaning all electrical connections tomorrow and see what happens.

What is best to clean the electrical connections with, some do look dirty/oily but how do I remove that without damaging the wires?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
You need a voltmeter and just start following the voltage, should be easy to trace

The fuses that were installed were 32v 50A, is that right? I tested them and they have continuity so they are good but the glass is cracked on one so I will replace both, but do I replace them with 12v or stay with 32v?

thetmaxx

Cadet
I will be cleaning all electrical connections tomorrow and see what happens.

What is best to clean the electrical connections with, some do look dirty/oily but how do I remove that without damaging the wires?
CRC QD Electronic Cleaner in a red can is amazing! And yes 32v 50AMP is correct. It just means the fuse is accurate from 0-32v, and may not blow at 50 amps above that.

Ok, so I figured out the problem, it was a completely drained battery, I guess the cabin lights were on and I did not know, so it drained the battery completely.

My jump starter did not have a good connection when I tried to use it, so that was the problem all along...

Runs great now that I got the battery fully charged.

Now if I have it on muffs can I put the prop in drive to test function or should I wait until it is in the water?

I want to replace all the fluids in the drive before hand but once I do I want to test it to make sure it works properly.

Thank you for the help so far!!!