livewell timer installation

dwatson1

Cadet
I want to install a livewell timer switch. My current setup has the livewell pump and the bilge pump on the same switch. Up for livewell / down for bilge.

Is there a way to connect the livewell timer switch to the existing switch to avoid having to run new wires all the way back to the livewell pump? My thought is you would need to turn the existing livewell switch to the on position and then use the new switch with the timer.

Hope I am asking this question correctly. I am terrible with electrical things.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Find the old timer and replace it... usually not far from either the switch panel or the pump it is controlling (more often close to the switch panel)

dwatson1

Cadet
Find the old timer and replace it... usually not far from either the switch panel or the pump it is controlling (more often close to the switch panel)

There is currently not a timer on the switch. It is continuous run. Up for livewell / down for bilge.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you wire it to the + leading in from the battery to the manual switch, than it can run standalone from the manual switch. for the + out of the timer switch, you tap into the + out of your manual switch you and connect both those positives on the pump. Ground as per usual. Best to ensure you have a fuse connected.

Fyi this set up will allow automatic and manual control. Switch up for manual, Timing on for automatic (to preferred setting)

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
There is currently not a timer on the switch. It is continuous run. Up for livewell / down for bilge.

Then you clip the wire that is used for livewell and splice the timer in there. Hide the timer behind the switch panel.