Switched battery cables accidentally now no power

redfiveshoe

Cadet
Hello all,
I was putting in a new battery on my 2006 Tahoe Q4 w/ 4.3 mercruiser and accidentally switched the positive and negative wires. It sparked, and now I have no power. If I turn on the master power, my lights and radio work, but I have no power to the ignition. I don't even get the warning alarm that I normally get.
I'm really hoping that it is just a fuse. Here is what I have tried:
1. I tried the red button on the breaker on top of the motor. It wasn't tripped.
2. I tried to find a blown fuse under the dash and in the fuse box. No fuses were blown in the fuse box, and the largest fuse that I have in there is a 10 amp anyway. I wouldn't think that would be large enough.
3. I have to tried to locate the starter to see if it has a fuse on it, but can't seem to even find the starter.

I did not try to start it with the wire switched. They were only switched for 4-5 seconds.

What have I missed??? ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Starter is on the lower right side at the back of the motor, under the exhaust. The 90 amp fuse is attached to the starter, and in this pic is the small square thing hanging to the right of the starter and hose

starter.jpg

redfiveshoe

Cadet
Thanks for your help Dodge. I finally found the starter, but it is a little difficult for a man of my size to get too. I used a test light and found that it has power coming to the fuse, but no power leaving it. I have one ordered. Hopefully this fixes it up.